• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star DX 399

Radio75

RadioActive OM
Sep 23, 2010
Hooterville, SD
I know the question has been asked before, but without a clear answer.

OK, does anyone out there have and use one of these on SSB?
Has anyone out there actually tested one of these, are they truly class AB, or B?
Considering the use of a pair of 2SC2879 transistors is the max input about 20W PEP or ???

Now that we are on the subject of amplifying SSB signals, are there any other
amps with a similar output and price range that I should consider beside the DX 399?

Thanks!

i think (not %100 sure) that they are the same except for the lack of meter on the 399 and the 399 has its ssb switch on the back of the unit rather than the front .

you may want to consider one of these if you're buying new .

Palomar mobile transmitters

the cobra and magnum should have ab biasing and filtering , the Palomar's might too . id call to confirm it though .

i think (not %100 sure) that they are the same except for the lack of meter on the 399 and the 399 has its ssb switch on the back of the unit rather than the front .

you may want to consider one of these if you're buying new .

Palomar mobile transmitters

the cobra and magnum should have ab biasing and filtering , the Palomar's might too . id call to confirm it though .

Thanks for the link Booty. I pulled the trigger on a Magnum 4500 from H&Y.
(you should call them and ask for a commission :D)
I liked the filtering, narrow-band design, biasing, and not to mention the SSB switch on the front panel. Multiple output dial on the face is nice too.
Now I just have to find a way to get my 8 gauge wire through the firewall of my MonsterVan.
I will post a review after I have had the amp for a bit.

I know the question has been asked before, but without a clear answer.

OK, does anyone out there have and use one of these on SSB?
Has anyone out there actually tested one of these, are they truly class AB, or B?
Considering the use of a pair of 2SC2879 transistors is the max input about 20W PEP or ???

Now that we are on the subject of amplifying SSB signals, are there any other
amps with a similar output and price range that I should consider beside the DX 399?

Thanks!

It's common knowledge that newer Palomars are not very good........they are OK at best. Google Palomar 775 and 900, you'll get the idea.Texas Stars are way better and tougher if a stock mass produced amp is what floats your boat.
Amps can claim anything in their specs. A Joker is the only Class AB amp I would consider.
Good luck with the amp and if you baby it and put a fan on it that'll give you some talk time.
That 4500, LOL, should give you about 200 real watts on ssb. Wonder why they call it a 4500 though?

Last edited:
It is supposed to be an exact copy of the old, genuine Palomar amp.
I imagine they call it a 4500 for the same reason Texas Star calls their amp a 399, neither reflecting the actual output of the amp.
I am not entirely ignorant of the over inflated ratings that most manufacturers put on equipment being offered to the "unwashed masses" such as myself. A fan is a good idea, I am already looking into it, possibly connecting the fan to the keying relay?

I think any brushless 12VDC fan would suffice, yes?

The Texas Star 399 uses the same board ( texas star board A) as the Texas star 350HDV, they just replaced the push button switches with rocker switches, same transistors as the 350HDV, 2 x 2sc2879`s, same SSB delay switch on the back and some very minor wiring changes, but it is basically the same Amp. It was an attempt by texas star to reduce costs by doing away with the push button gang switch and meter.....but after they added up the cost of cutting the new front panel, it wound up so close it was almost a push.
And As far as I know they are still being made, they are listed "in Stock" at several of the on line retailers Just do a search for texas star 399 CW transmitter. They are biased, but the "real" palomar magnum 4500 has 4 2sc2290`s in it, regulated bias that is adjustable and some filtering on the output, the Palomar magnum 6000 had 4 2sc2879`s in it....I have not seen a 6000 in years, last person I knew that carried them was Charlie 3.

Jeff

It is supposed to be an exact copy of the old, genuine Palomar amp.
I imagine they call it a 4500 for the same reason Texas Star calls their amp a 399, neither reflecting the actual output of the amp.
I am not entirely ignorant of the over inflated ratings that most manufacturers put on equipment being offered to the "unwashed masses" such as myself. A fan is a good idea, I am already looking into it, possibly connecting the fan to the keying relay?

I think any brushless 12VDC fan would suffice, yes?

A Texas Star 399 is an exellent performer on SSB. They have a passive class AB bias scheme. Another line of AB amplifiers that are decent if you can find one is a Bullet Proof.

A Texas Star puts out how many watts? (1 watt deadkey)

There is no set answer. Put your watt meter in line, set the amp on Hi and the radio variable on Lo. Then key the mic, for a Texas Star 350/399 raise the radio dead key while keyed up until you get 70-90 watts. There, your done.

I have had several TS350's and as I recall something in the 1.5-2.5 watt dead key range seems to work best. The variable pots on those are 3 watt pots. If you run 3 or more watts dead key then in short time you will either burn a spot on that variable pot or burn it up completely. The next thing to go would be the keying transistor.

There is no set answer. Put your watt meter in line, set the amp on Hi and the radio variable on Lo. Then key the mic, for a Texas Star 350/399 raise the radio dead key while keyed up until you get 70-90 watts. There, your done.

I have had several TS350's and as I recall something in the 1.5-2.5 watt dead key range seems to work best. The variable pots on those are 3 watt pots. If you run 3 or more watts dead key then in short time you will either burn a spot on that variable pot or burn it up completely. The next thing to go would be the keying transistor.

thats exactly how i run mine i shut off variable run amp full then adjust
dk on variable on radio.i think i dk 70-80 watts swing up from there

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.