• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The 5/8-Wavelength Antenna Mystique by Donald K. Reynolds

since the merlin base antenna and most mobile antennas are less than 7 ft tall above their feed-point ...... does that mean the current is highest 2 feet (or lower on shorter verticals) below the feed-point on the ground planes or car body ?
does it mean when my 3 ft lil will in on the 6 ft high roof on my vehicle that the current is highest just under the tires ? if it were on a trunk , would it be 3 ft under ground ?

No, because that was months ago and is no longer current.

:love:

Those antennas you mentioned are current-fed so current should be highest at the feed point, diminishing more as you go away from that point toward the ends of the half wave or car body.

A bottom-fed 1/2 wave is voltage fed and that's why the feed point impedance is so high, around 2000-5000 ohms.

since the merlin base antenna and most mobile antennas are less than 7 ft tall above their feed-point ...... does that mean the current is highest 2 feet (or lower on shorter verticals) below the feed-point on the ground planes or car body ?
does it mean when my 3 ft lil will in on the 6 ft high roof on my vehicle that the current is highest just under the tires ? if it were on a trunk , would it be 3 ft under ground ?

Your reasoning here is silly, and you missed NB's point completely. Go sit in the corner and put on the dunce cap.

can you explain why it's silly and what point i missed ?
BTW , i'm always in the corner wearing my dunce hat :D

Your reasoning here is silly, and you missed NB's point completely. Go sit in the corner and put on the dunce cap.

LOL! ;)

can you explain why it's silly and what point i missed ?
BTW , i'm always in the corner wearing my dunce hat :D

Is that the one you stole from me? - HEY, I need it BACK! :tongue:

isn't the current highest about 1/4 wave down from the top?

I was referring to the 22 1/2' 5/8 wave Marconi had modeled.

from OGP's link
G3ZPS HF radio antennas

"The 'Zepp' name came from the use of the antenna on Zeppelins in the 20's and 30's. Its a non resonant antenna which provides arounnd 3dB of gain over a dipole if mounted at the right height. Around 0.6 of a wavelength is ideal .

Each leg of the Zepp is 0.64 Wavelength (5/8) and must be fairly accurately cut, the formula I use is 599/f in MHz."

i thought antennas were supposed to always perform better when they were resonate . and this one is supposed to have more gain over a dipole than a 5/8 or .64 . the formula looks to be a bit shy of whats commonly thought of as a 5/8 WL , let alone a .64 .

599 / 26.965 = 22 ft 2 1/2 inches for channel 1
599 / 27.405 = 21 ft 10 1/4 inches for channel 40

it ain't easy being a dunce :D

from OGP's link
G3ZPS HF radio antennas

"The 'Zepp' name came from the use of the antenna on Zeppelins in the 20's and 30's. Its a non resonant antenna which provides arounnd 3dB of gain over a dipole if mounted at the right height. Around 0.6 of a wavelength is ideal .

Each leg of the Zepp is 0.64 Wavelength (5/8) and must be fairly accurately cut, the formula I use is 599/f in MHz."

i thought antennas were supposed to always perform better when they were resonate . and this one is supposed to have more gain over a dipole than a 5/8 or .64 . the formula looks to be a bit shy of whats commonly thought of as a 5/8 WL , let alone a .64 .

599 / 26.965 = 22 ft 2 1/2 inches for channel 1
599 / 27.405 = 21 ft 10 1/4 inches for channel 40

it ain't easy being a dunce :D

Well, since the Germans probably used insulated, braided wire for strength & shorting resistance, I bet the velocity factor made it electrically longer than .6, perhaps .64? :bdh:

Reactions: 1 person
Well, since the Germans probably used insulated, braided wire for strength & shorting resistance, I bet the velocity factor made it electrically longer than .6, perhaps .64? :bdh:

NB and BM, what was G3ZPS referring to when he said, "Around 0.6 of a wavelength is ideal."

NB and BM, what was G3ZPS referring to when he said, "Around 0.6 of a wavelength is ideal."

Well, there he's referring to height above ground, but I find the following sentence rather humorous:

"Each leg of the Zepp is 0.64 Wavelength (5/8) and must be fairly accurately cut, the formula I use is 599/f in MHz"

.64 is not "accurately" .625 or 5/8, neither is 599/freq mhz :mellow:

Reactions: 1 person
I think that .599 is about as accurate as needed really. About like .64 being better than .625 sort of. Accurately cut would probably be the relationship between the two halves of that antenna, not the exact length. I don't think it would have been used on any -one- frequency, but the whole band. So, once you move from the design frequency it's gonna be 'off' a bit anyway. That would be a little more important since it's a balanced antenna using a balanced feed line (ideally).
There's always some 'skootch' involved with HF antenna lengths. Just one reason is that height and environment plays a bigger part in resonance than on the VHF/UHF bands. At HF you're talking about 'foot' accuracy, where at VHF/UHF you're talking about small fractions of a 'foot'.
- 'Doc

(Besides, it probably looses something in translation between American English and Her Majesty's English. You think?)

Well, there he's referring to height above ground, but I find the following sentence rather humorous:

"Each leg of the Zepp is 0.64 Wavelength (5/8) and must be fairly accurately cut, the formula I use is 599/f in MHz"

.64 is not "accurately" .625 or 5/8, neither is 599/freq mhz :mellow:

Well, I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but it seemed strange to me that you guys were talking about antenna length in reference to the .6 idea presented by G3ZPS. I didn't read it that way, and it caught my attention that maybe there was some more CB BS on the rise.

I was wondering about BM's statement below, and then your response seemed, to me, you too were referring to a radiator length of .6 wavelength as being optimum.
i thought antennas were supposed to always perform better when they were resonate . and this one is supposed to have more gain over a dipole than a 5/8 or .64 . the formula looks to be a bit shy of whats commonly thought of as a 5/8 WL , let alone a .64.

Now I also suspect that 'Doc read your words as if you two were both talking about radiator length in reference to the .6 wavelength number. It is hard to excuse the facts in print, and at times I do the same myself.

I posted this additional link to provide BM with some evidence that there are Internet references to .64 wavelength raditors...where it shows big gains for Ham operators far back in History. I sometimes suspect that much of the CB BS we hear and read about...originates from just such historical accounts where guys take stuff out of context.

NB mentioned a .6 radiator , i'm guessing because he did the math using the authors formula and saw that the mats showed it to be closer to .6 wavelength . if i'm wrong on that NB then correct me and accept my apology .
but i never said anything about a .6 wavelength radiator , the author mentioned .6 in reference to height . the link was posted FWICT to support the .64wl idea . but the formula used didn't come up to that length . the author didn't say what wire he used so we don't know if it was jacketed or not . i guess i'm thinking since the antenna wasn't really .64 wl long that it doesn't apply as a example of the .64 .

i didn't notice any difference (for or against) on my 5/8 between a 22 1/2 ft vertical or a 23 ft vertical , but i'm a fan of someone doing something just for the warm fuzzy feeling it gives them , if it doesn't cause any negative effects .

hi guys. interesting topic for sure. ive always wondered if the imax 2000 and a99 antennas were the wire lenghts just happen to fall at the right wave lenght size everytime ? how could this be possible? is there something iam missing? because surley you would have to take into account the vf of the wire used AND it being encapsulated!!!! yet it still has the right lenghts for said antennas! ie 18 and 24 foot !!! 73s.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.