• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Maco 3 element beam ?...

good little beam. i believe it will handle 1.5kw i think but copper.com has
other gamma matches for it .5kw,10kw,and 30kw so i think they,ll handle
quite a bit power

Hmmm . . . I like the statement: 'Any beam is better than no beam'. But yes, a 4 element will still work with a TV rotor, especially the Sirio 4 element beam. It weighs only 13 lbs; a Maco will weigh twice as much. The Maco is built heavier for a tough environment/extreme weather. Dunno about the Maco, but the Sirio is supposed to handle 500 watts continuous and 1kw PEP

Last edited:
If you have the space, and can afford a bigger/better rotor, definitely get the 4 element. Great beam! Do the Scott's specs from Signal Engineering, and you won't regret it.

If you can't do the above, the 3 element will do ya pretty good. Put her on the flat side, and put a ground plane over it. :)

And another one to consider, the V Quad is really a pretty darned good performer. You don't hear many guys running them, but they are a strong value performance wise. TV rotor will spin it. I think cbradiomagazine.com did a review.

RT307

Hello,

At the bottum of this page :
All about antennas
At the left side you can find the eznec plots of the Maco 3 and Maco 4 elements yagi.

There is about 1 dB gain difference between them, and the front to back of the 3 el is better.
However the front to rear of the 4el wins again.

I have written down on this forum dimensions for the 3 (or) 4 el to improve things.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/133137-4-element-yagi-specs-3.html
That will also get better performance compared to the signal engineering one.

The remark "not to bother with less than a 4el" is one i disagree with.

For DXing horizontal beam antennas provide additional groundgain.
This is much more than a vertical will provide.
For DXing a high placed beam (also the smallest one like a moxon) will beat the vertical and be a major improvement.
That high placed posistion will probarbly also mean the take off angle is much lower, hence less "hops". (Unless you have your vertical placed over a salt sea for example.)

Henry HPSD
19SD348

Reactions: Oatmeal

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated