• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The New president jackson clone called a Zodiac Tokyo

Interesting radio,looks uniden built but I'm pretty sure uniden were in the philippines by those date codes,I have an unusual philipine boarded uniden 1991 radio,so they were deffo in the philippines by then,this is taiwan r.o.c built,which suggests a very late uniden build,but the echo looks ranger rci'esque,

so I'm thinking after uniden left Taiwan Ranger RCI (the I in RCI is interesting,stands for incorporated,suggesting Ranger bought over/into many smaller companies) moved in and started producing clones in the same factory the original uniden pb042 and pb010 etc were built.Most likely in a one off deal for an Italian/Swiss import company (e bay italy is the only place I've seen zodiacs on sale),it looks like a pb042 clone,the large heatsink and single final scream mrf 477,unfortuneately I'm on a blackberry and can't see the pictures too great with my crap eyesight,not helped by inherent greed at sucking joints/numb brain.

Its no secret Ranger RCI probably including or in conjunction with ex Uniden guys built these in the same manner they cloned the pb010 board and went on to modernise it into the many variations of ept3600 board we know today,if I recall early dirland ss3900 were taiwan roc too,I dropped out of cb through the 90's to raise a family so lost track of the evolution of these export sets a bit,Ranger RCI's lawyer,a member of this forum has openly stated Uniden foolishly for whatever reason didn't patent their designs and still to this day commit radio building genocide by outrageous pricing compared to newer modern exports from hong kong/china.

Won't be long till presidents are made by someone cheaper or uniden sort their pricing out,if not I can't see them being around long.

Like palomar before it superstar is a psuedonym used by more than one company to foil Government agencies who the true importers are,probably arrived in consignments of legit radios (cobra 148 gtl dx in a cobra 148 gtl box was a classic example),incidentally phone cobra for any help on these radios in the 80's all you met was a classic Glaswegian statement when guilty as f@ck,"it wisnae me", or in later days as 10m exports blatantly as they learned to exploit legal loopholes (another member here can explain those far better than I can,lol) worldwide to satisfy the growing demand for these radios.

They even gave up the restriction on the sale of 10m monoband radios here in the uk as they realised they were flooding in from other eu member states notably rep of ireland and france (depending where the uk person was closest too) and customs couldn't touch them,unlike if imported direct from the states due to free trade laws within the EU.Once on our shores there was no shortage of people who could defeat the power limiting or channel coverage limiting they had for sale legally in europe as 10m or even 40 ch legal am/fm/ssb transceivers like in france,soon to be the norm here too if ofcom get their finger out of the olympic pie.

So yes they are interesting,but far from new.bare in mind these are my opinions made through some fact,some guesswork and a fair bit of personal opinion.I may be wrong in some parts,accurate in others and vague in the rest,but its my best guess.

I can't speak for these newer models for certain but I can tell you why the old export Jackson had lousy AM audio. It was one of the few CB radios that opted to use the cheap method of modulating the carrier. It uses low level modulation of the IF stage and they did a very poor job at designing the modulator. Low level modulation can sound just as good as high level with increased efficiency however, you must modulate the correct stage of the radio. That is not what they did in the old Jackson.

Reactions: 2 people
The older Jackson SUCKS on AM my old 23 CH Cobra Cam 89 runs circles around it on AM. The Jackson is a sorry excuse of a radio on AM but works well on SSB...

The Jacksons from the early 1980s were even lousy as boat anchors. I bought a brand new one for $275 at the time and sold it 2 days later because it was a dog. AM audio was a joke even with a minuteman II mic.

I can't speak for these newer models for certain but I can tell you why the old export Jackson had lousy AM audio. It was one of the few CB radios that opted to use the cheap method of modulating the carrier. It uses low level modulation of the IF stage and they did a very poor job at designing the modulator. Low level modulation can sound just as good as high level with increased efficiency however, you must modulate the correct stage of the radio. That is not what they did in the old Jackson.

Pity because the FM performance is relatively decent for an export radio, and ssb is sublime for such a cheap radio, was very popular in Europe where FM/SSB predominates and AM died in the early 80's due to legalisation of Fm and it's tendancy to get you busted for causing interference,long before cable and satellite tv.Fringe tv reception mixed with poor tv front end design at the time meant AM was fatal.

For the money there ain't another radio I'd rather own. Although I shy from them now due to the ridiculous price and lousy availability of original mrf 477 or mrf455, but if you don't use Ancient Modulation then that's their only drawback. Although I'm still fond of the little President AR7 I started on AM is just too much grief.

I also have a Grant DX that sucks eggs just as much as my Jackson. Both radio are LOUSY at best on AM, heck a Uniden 520XL can talk circles around both radios on AM.. Oh well they are both destined for the landfill if i cant find any mods for better AM performance..

I have a controlled carrier mod for the Jackson that will increase swing and modulation a little. plus 2 resisters you can change to give it more modulation. if anyone would l;ike to try it .let me know. I have mentioned it before and no one responded.

I also have a Grant DX that sucks eggs just as much as my Jackson. Both radio are LOUSY at best on AM, heck a Uniden 520XL can talk circles around both radios on AM.. Oh well they are both destined for the landfill if i cant find any mods for better AM performance..

i think your missing the point on export rigs if your expecting them to outperform a built for the purpose modern am radio by the same company, all exports have weaknesses,that broadbanded flexible mode radio has many corners cut a single mode monoband radio doesn't have too.its all about profit and compromise.

why don't you stick to your 520xl for am, i have a european president harry am/fm based on that chassis,great little radio,does 120 ch am/fm if you want to open it up,but without ssb that seems pointless. use your grant and jackson on ssb where they are really designed for,you might just appreciate how good they can really be. if your not into ssb then you'd be better flogging them and buying another am only radio if your so pernickity about tx audio.

if your really fussy about a top class radio,look out for a cpi cp2000, beautiful radios.would kill to get one here and mod it/retune for high band use.20 years ago if i could have afforded one i'd have had it set up for low low band around 26.285 as back then i did most dx on the lower end of 26 mhz.fcc 40 or midband is too full of qrm for my liking.

jazzsinger the jackson and the old grants came out before the galaxys and connexs etc with the loud am sound. the jackson and grant were mainly built for good stable SSB use like you are saying. you can get a little more out of the Jackson with a carrier mod that takes about 10 minutes to do. it still is not like the galaxys or magnums but it has good clean am modulation and I would rather talk to some one on the older radios than the new ones out now.

I owned a Jacskon black face back in the day too. Nice SSB radio at the time although it did drift when heated.

All have it correct though it was a dog AM wise, with very low AM modulation.

The newly released unit does look to be reinvented with a new name plate.

There are a few things that can be done to improve AM performance on the Jackson and Grant. I did a resistor and diode mod to my Grant last night before i went to bed and it really woke the old girl up... But like someone said these radios came out long before the "loud crowd" Galaxy and Connex radios....

There are a few things that can be done to improve AM performance on the Jackson and Grant. I did a resistor and diode mod to my Grant last night before i went to bed and it really woke the old girl up

really? the AM sections of the grant & jackson are different. the best way to improve AM performance of a jackson was to buy a grant ;) the best way to improve AM performance of a grant was to add a dx500 ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.