• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The old FCC issued cb call signs

Mine was KHD-4303

Yours was not too far off there Bill/k4flh
Must have gotten that in the summer of '63 or so. My best friend was KHD 4550 and another friend was KHD 4593.Were you living in Chicago then? We were all southsiders near the lakefront.

Last edited:
Must have gotten that in the summer of '63 or so. My best friend was KHD 4550 and another friend was KHD 4593.Were you living in Chicago then? We were all southsiders near the lakefront.

No.at the time...
Was living 2 miles from Mets Shea Stadium in Queens nyc

The very first 11 meter CB call signs were not the 3X4 (KAA XXXX) format that was the most common during the period the service did have call signs.
The very first, from Sept 1958 to 1960, were based on the FCC Engineering District numbers followed by either W,A,Q or QA, then 4 numbers. Example my first call sign, issued by the FCC, was 18QA2160 issued Nov 1959. Chicago was in the 18 engineering district. I wish I could find an old S9 magazine that had the map of the engineering districts, but I haven't had any luck. The Kxx-xxxx call signs didn't start until 1960.In Chicago the first K series was KHA. My second license was KHD9151 issued 11/22/1963.
You could tell pretty much where a person was from and about when he recieved his license by their call sign,up until the late 60's.
Hey Bill...

If you can find a US map showing the Naval Districts, it's possible that the FCC Engineering Districts were broken up along the same lines. My high school electronics program in the early 1960s had a CB station for keeping in contact with the two other high schools in Las Vegas (Clark County) NV. It was 11Q0082, as I posted on page 1 of this thread; Clark County is part of the 11th Naval District. Old CBers from up here in Washington State are in the 13th Naval District, and I know two of them who still have their "13W-####" licenses.

Couldn't find anything like this for FCC, but: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/navdist.htm#map

Just a thought! 73
Pat K7KBN

Pat, why no Naval district #2?

Hi Garth - thought you'd never ask; Google was my friend:

"Created with the other original districts in 1903, the Second Naval District was the smallest of the lot. It was headquartered in Newport, Rhode Island, and covered only Rhode Island and adjacent waters. It was disestablished and its areas incorporated into the First and Third Districts on March 15, 1919, after the end of World War I.[1]"

Just Rhode Island! I guess they wanted to keep OCS and the Naval War College represented ... but did those commands even exist from 1903 to 1919?

Hi Garth - thought you'd never ask; Google was my friend:

"Created with the other original districts in 1903, the Second Naval District was the smallest of the lot. It was headquartered in Newport, Rhode Island, and covered only Rhode Island and adjacent waters. It was disestablished and its areas incorporated into the First and Third Districts on March 15, 1919, after the end of World War I.[1]"

Just Rhode Island! I guess they wanted to keep OCS and the Naval War College represented ... but did those commands even exist from 1903 to 1919?

I just read the link you posted and did not see any reference to the 2'nd district and thought I would tear a page out of Se7en's book and just ask instead of looking for it. (y) Thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.