• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Open Stub J-pole

The DB

Aug 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
A friend is making and selling these Open Stub J-Poles that you can find directions for on-line. The question is does this description accurately reflect how this antenna actually works? I personally think that, despite the design's looks, that the name given to this antenna is in error.

I'm curious to others thoughts are on this antenna design, do you think it is a J-Pole or not, and why?

alumjpole3.jpg

The DB

Last edited:

A friend is making and selling these Open Stub J-Poles that you can find directions for on-line. The question is does this description accurately reflect how this antenna actually works? I personally think that, despite the design's looks, that the name given to this antenna is in error.

I'm curious to others thoughts are on this antenna design, do you think it is a J-Pole or not, and why?

alumjpole3.jpg

The DB

DB, I've seen this style before...is it a multi-element J-Pole antenna or is the short element part of the tuning mechanism?

To call it an open stub I think is way off as it isn't actually a stub, which would have a tap point at some point other than the end of the 1/4 wavelength. Also, a 1/4 wavelength open stub would convert a high impedance resonant source to a low impedance resonant antenna, in fact just the opposite of a shorted stub. For it to be an actual open stub with the same impedance at the antenna end, the stub would have to be 1/2 wavelength long with a tap near the middle, which would be the low impedance feedpoint.

This design also has the feedpoint at the end of the so called "stub" which makes it not act like a stub but a feedline. Think 1/4 transformer here as that is what it appears to be to me. The two elements essentially become a high impedance ladder line, and over 1/4 electrical wavelength transform the low 50 ohm source to a very high impedance, which can then directy feed the end fed half wavelength antenna above.

Yes there will be some imbalance, but I have yet to encounter a significant amount of common mode currents from one of these antennas yet...

The DB

DB
w8ji and others call an antenna fed at the lower end of the stub without the shorting bar a bottom fed j-pole,
it looks like a zepp to me, i have seen the same thing described as either a zepp or j-pole,

i agree the 1/4wave section of transmission-line transforms the high impedance at the top of the stub to a low impedance at the bottom of the 1/4wave transmission-line,

the antenna pictured looks like a modified version of this antenna using an asymetric feedpoint, i don't know if there is a correct name for it.

I wonder if when you TX on the multi-band antenna if the signal can be detected on both frequencies or does the TX signal only excite the proper stub?

I wonder if when you TX on the multi-band antenna if the signal can be detected on both frequencies or does the TX signal only excite the proper stub?

Same thing as a fan dipole. The vast majority of the RF goes to the antenna that presents the best impedance match due to the law of energy transfer that dictates that maximum energy transfer will occur when source and load impedances are equal.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.