• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking outside the box

rabbiporkchop

Jan 18, 2007
pennsylvania
Instead of building amplifiers that fit inside cheaply constructed aluminum enclosures with heat dissipation being a secondary thought has anybody ever contemplated designing an amplifier around an enclosure with consistent heat dissipation for each individual transistor to maintain a uniform temperature among every single transistor?
Perhaps splitting the board into two separate boards on two separate heatsinks might be the solution?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32639...minum-enclosure&spm=2114.40010208.4.57.trDgaO
breeze-audio-A-50S-class-A-power-amplifier-aluminum-chassis-aluminum-enclosure-.jpg_640x640.jpg

KSA-250-KRELL-appearance-aluminum-amplifier-chassis-Class-A-amplifier-chassis-AMP-Enclosure-case-BOX-DIY.jpg_640x640.jpg

SYCAO-2412-pure-class-a-aluminum-amplifier-enclosure-diy-Power-amplifier-chassis-aluminum-amplifier-enclosure.jpg_640x640.jpg

Breeze-Audio-4015-A-new-small-font-b-aluminum-b-font-font-b-chassis-b-font.jpg

I realize it would cost more to do this but there are people willing to pay the extra money.

Lots of manufactures have done that. Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, Tokyo High Power,Ten-Tec, and Beko all come to mind. :D:p It's not a question of has anybody ever contemplated designing an amplifier that way, but rather has any basement dwelling CB amp builder ever thought about building a decent amplifier as such. When you get crap class C amps with no thought or care into linearity why in God's name would you ever expect them to give thoughts into proper cooling? Most CB amps have FAR from adequate heatsink size to begin with much less proper mounting and dissipation. In the end it's all about how much profit can be made off of people that do not want to spend money .

Go ahead and build a quality amp with quality construction and parts, put it in a fancy case like this and try to sell it to the 11 meter crowd. I will wait for the going out of business sale. Just look at Tokyo Hi-Power, nice looking and built amps sold to the ham crowd... out of business. The average cb'er is looking for the watt meter to swing and takes spewing over several channels as a sign of dominance. Real radio ops both 11 meter and ham know that power isn't everything and will pay for a good clean amp but there are not enough to build a biz on or compete with what is already available.

Instead of building amplifiers that fit inside cheaply constructed aluminum enclosures with heat dissipation being a secondary thought has anybody ever contemplated designing an amplifier around an enclosure with consistent heat dissipation for each individual transistor to maintain a uniform temperature among every single transistor?
Like this?
hl-2_5kfx_f_large.jpg

hl-2_5kfx_i_large.jpg

Like this?
hl-2_5kfx_f_large.jpg

hl-2_5kfx_i_large.jpg
I realize there are nice amps for home use.
The mobile market is much more limited in regards to quality. I grew up down the street from Henry Radio in West Los Angeles and they had really nice mobile amps back then like the Henry SS750.

Last edited:
The mobile market is much more limited in regards to quality.
Why in gods name would you want to run more then 100 watts out of the mobile? Plenty of good 100 watt amps out there that are clean. I have worked all over the world from the car on just 100 watts (rig power only) albeit on different bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.