• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on this interference "video"

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
This is the interference that is rendering my radios useless... I was wondering if the MFJ-1025 or
MFJ 1026

would help with block this kind of interference .
It is not comming from my house. I killed the main bracker and ran every thing off batterys..

Here is the video..

And here is one of my friends that lives 2 miles from me...

Last edited:

Hmm. A neighbor with a grow room and lots of high-power LED lighting?

Had a 120-Volt "ballast" power supply for a 100-Watt LED I played with a couple of years ago. Produced a loud "frying" sort of noise to every CB and ham radio in the building. Just ditched it, rather than try to enclose it in a shield and filter the wires feeding into and out of it.

And if it's a daytime-only noise, have a look around for solar panels on a neighbor's roof. The charge controller gadgets used to optimize the solar power from the panels can do this, too.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Yeah it is night time and it never starts up at the same time with in 7pm to 10pm and off 12 to 3... if it was grow lights i would think they would be on off at the same time... but it is posable

I had the same problem at different times of the day and night. Drove me crazy. Hooked my radio to a battery and still saw no change. Finally found the culprits--a couple of the old spiral type energy saving light bulbs out in my garage. If either one was on, my noise level was sky high. With both turned off the interference disappeared. I simply replaced them with a couple of the newer energy saving bulbs and my problem went away. :D

Last edited:
Oops. Missed the part about you killing the main breaker. o_O
My light bulb suggestion won't help you. Sorry.

Hello All: Man this sounds just like what I had a few months ago, that is frying bacon noise. This came from the power pole just in front of my house, and all down the main dirt road. Had any were from S6 to 20 over noise interference on the S-Meter at home.

While listening to the radio a Stryker 955 The noise got louder about 5 poles down the road, just as the Power Line Interference book says. Edison came out with audio detection receiver and isolated it to the power pole nearest to my house. And the guy says it so strong it takes out his AM Broadcast radio in his truck. A few weeks later the boys show up to clean the check out the power pole connections, they have a RFI detector sniffing all the power line connections. Well thank goodness NO NOISE now.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Hello All: Man this sounds just like what I had a few months ago, that is frying bacon noise. This came from the power pole just in front of my house, and all down the main dirt road. Had any were from S6 to 20 over noise interference on the S-Meter at home.

While listening to the radio a Stryker 955 The noise got louder about 5 poles down the road, just as the Power Line Interference book says. Edison came out with audio detection receiver and isolated it to the power pole nearest to my house. And the guy says it so strong it takes out his AM Broadcast radio in his truck. A few weeks later the boys show up to clean the check out the power pole connections, they have a RFI detector sniffing all the power line connections. Well thank goodness NO NOISE now.

yeah a few years ago i complained to the power com and they ended up replacing all the pols on my street new every thing.. but it "seems" like it is coming from around the block now...

Edison came out with audio detection receiver and isolated it to the power pole nearest to my house. And the guy says it so strong it takes out his AM Broadcast radio in his truck. A few weeks later the boys show up to clean the check out the power pole connections, they have a RFI detector sniffing all the power line connections. Well thank goodness NO NOISE now.

You are spot on Jay. I had the same problem. I called the electric company and complained and informed them that I am a ham radio operator. The next day they were out here running line noise test. They ended up replacing two transformers an seven or eight insulators. I don't have near that noise now it was S9 and higher on all bands.

well i sent the videos off to the power company.... see what they do now...

i all so ran the radio on a battery and killed my main breakers today just to make sure...

Well just got off the phone with the power company they told me there is a problem.. But it is coming from someone's house and they can't track it down because it is so freaking strong it is maxing out there equipment....
He told me they would help if they can pinpoint it to 1 person but can't because it is transmitting down all the power lines from some one..

I've got this issue right now on my street - as soon as I turn down the street I get that same noise. Been trying to track it down for a couple of weeks.

Here's a story that may not make you feel any better and others on the forum may remember it from a long time ago.

A number of years ago (5 maybe) I had a house where I had no interference - beautiful quiet signals at night. Good size neighborhood with 80 homes and no above ground power poles.

All of sudden I start getting crazy noise - all the time. Goes on for weeks and I can't figure it out. Then one day it's gone only to return the next day for weeks on end again. Power company sends out their special guy who drives 100 miles from their headquarters to help. We use his equipment we think we track it down to a transformer box, but then he says that he's 100% sure that's not it...the noise is being introduced to the power lines from somewhere. He leaves and nothing is resolved.

I take my walkie talkies and small receivers and walk around the neighborhood - the noise is everywhere - it is super strong pegging my meters for around a 1/2 square mile area - huge range. After weeks of walking around I finally believe I have tracked it down to one house (5 houses away from me). Was super difficult to track down because the noise was everywhere in the neighborhood. The neighbor is nice enough to let me inside his house and once inside my radios go crazy - I think it might be the alarm system as my devices go crazy when I get near them, but then I walk into an office and the radio with squelch up is just going nuts.

Ready for it? It was a @!&*#$ paper shredder. I turned it off and the noise disappeared completely. The power supply inside the paper shredder was causing interference that traveled back into the power lines and through the entire neighborhood.

I asked the neighbor if he would be kind enough to just leave it off when not using it. One month went by with no issues and then bam it was back on. Luckily we ended up moving about 6 months later.

Now here I am again at a different house and I've got crazy noise again. I can tell it's not a paper shredder this time at least :(

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.