• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Three generations of Elecraft HF Rigs on the Bench

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Not too long ago, W6KLE informed me on the repeater we hang out on that he had purchased the Elecraft KXPA100 100 watt HF amplifier to go with his KX3. Of course, I was interested in seeing it since I also have a KX3. He offered to bring it over for me to try out, so of course I took him up on the opportunity. When he showed up the other night, he also was carrying his Elecraft K2 and K2 Autotuner. So, I took the opportunity to put them all on the bench for a photo op :)

Here are three generations of HF rigs from Elecraft. From left to right, the K3, KX3, KXPA100, and K2 sitting atop the autotuner:

moleculo-albums-miscellaneous-picture4078-elecraft-k3-kx3-kxpa100-k2-k2-auto-tuner.jpg

After taking pictures, it was time to hook up the KXPA100. Don had never even taken it out of the box it was shipped in, so this was going to be the first smoke test! The hookup is very a very simple procedure, but you need to make sure your KX3 has recent firmware. This is because the KX3 talks to the amp to turn the amp on and off and also key it. Don also got the internal tuner option for the amp which the KX3 ATU TUNE button can control, as well.

Here's a pic of the amp sitting on a box in front of the bench. We had to do this because the power cable supplied was just a little short to reach my power supply.

moleculo-albums-miscellaneous-picture4077-elecraft-kx3-kxpa100.jpg

I must say that this amplifier is really nice. For someone that wants a fantastic HF rig that can go portable or hook up to a 100 watt PA in the shack, this combination is tough to beat. Don't forget that Elecraft also has hook-up cables for the KXPA100 for the Yaesu 817. Lastly, the interface cable supplied with the amp has an RCA key jack in case you want to use the 100 watts to drive a larger amp.

Reactions: 1 person

Setup

I commend you on a very nice setup. A person who makes a clean area is most likley able to sell the equiptment and upgrade when they choose,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.