• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thunderbolt 305

johnboy2729

Jun 28, 2008
Lakeland, Georgia
My most recent purchase to add to the shack has been a Thunderbolt 305 amplifier. I am wondering if there is anyone who has owned one that can provide me with what you thought of the amp. So far I have had absolutely no problem with it. I have been dx-ing all over the country. If I can hear them, I can talk to them.

Just wondering if anyone else has owned one. Thanks.

-John Boy
South Georgia

I've had one for about 10 years. No problems, but the fan is loud and the adjustable power deal sucks...IMO. I would rather have a Hi/Lo switch.

hello

i just got a thunderbolt 305 today, love the amp but tubes are gone i can only get about 60 dk mod to 100. so looking for some 6lq6 tubes

does anybody have any information on these amps?

How many tubes does this have? It's been so long since I've worked on one...

What a person can do is swap out the 6LQ6's for 31LQ6's if there are 4 tubes, or 24LQ6's if there are 5 tubes, tie all the filaments in series and run the filaments with the 120V AC off the power switch.

Another way you could attack this is to replace the 6LQ6's with EL519's (6KG6A). You'd have to swap a couple wires on the tube sockets to make the EL519's work, but they would work and give you a little more power.

I have done both methods in the past with good results.

Just my .02 worth. (y)

-Exit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.