• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TNT 350 vs.Texas Star 350hdv?

nat19

Nov 18, 2009
West Virginia
Which would be a better amp. I would be driving it at 2 watt dead key and between 25 and 30 watts swing. I would like to have a good sounding signal on am and ssb. What kind of power would I see out of these amps? I noticed the TNT 350 has a fan built in so thats a plus. What do you guys think?

Which would be a better amp. I would be driving it at 2 watt dead key and between 25 and 30 watts swing. I would like to have a good sounding signal on am and ssb. What kind of power would I see out of these amps? I noticed the TNT 350 has a fan built in so thats a plus. What do you guys think?

put a fan on the heatsink of the ts and you've got a nice amp.

Maybe I am wrong but I think I read somewhere the ts has to be converted for use on 11 meters. If I'm wrong correct me on that. Will the ts 350hdv handle 30 watts pep?

while texas star amps are advertised as CW transmitters, and there are/were some that needed to be converted to work on 11m; pretty much everywhere that you can find one new on the web has already had the conversion done, or was built not to need it at all.

if the place you buy it from caters to the CB crowd, you can bet the amp will work on the CB band.
LC

Which would be a better amp. I would like to have a good sounding signal on am and ssb. What kind of power would I see out of these amps? I noticed the TNT 350 has a fan built in so thats a plus. What do you guys think?
The TNT is class "B", but it still works pretty good on SSB. These amp were once called Magna Force (still the same except the name) and lots of people are still running them today. I've used one in the mobile for 3 yrs and it has worked flawless.

Output is around 300 PEP, some people do get a little more, just depends how much drive you put into it. With a 30 watt drive you should see around 275-300.

I saw the ts 350hdv on copper electronics today for $199.00. But it says the frequency is 28-29.7mhz. Is this not converted or what. I think this amp would work great for me, but I was wondering am I going to notice a difference between the ts250 and 350 as far as increasing my signal on the other end. If not I could go with the 250 and save 20 bucks. What do you guys think?

On GI joe's website it says a crystal must be installed to determine the frequency of operation. If I purchace it from there will they install the crystal for me?

On GI joe's website it says a crystal must be installed to determine the frequency of operation. If I purchace it from there will they install the crystal for me?

Not sure what they're saying when stated a crystal is to be installed but here is the modification they will do, I suppose the crystal is on the oscillator board being removed.

Texas Star DX 250HDV / DX 350HDV CW Transmitter To AMP Conversion
1. Remove yellow 2200K cap of the oscillator board from the PCB
2. Remove red wire of oscillator board from RF choke

Remove green wire of oscillator board and attached 33pf cap
4. Solder the leg of 15 or 18pf cap to input trace on PCB
5. Remove black wire of oscillator board from keying jack
6. Remove oscillator board
7. Locate jumper wire attached to backside of red switch
8. Unsolder the ground end of jumper wire closest to the relay
9. Solder this end to open trace behind green switch
10. Remove wire from outer lug of blue pot and solder to other outer lug
11. Remove 10-ohm resistor piggy-backed to 15K resistor located next to the white sand block resistor and RF choke

You don't need the High Drive model. The "drive" refers to the dead key imput. You are planning on putting a low dead key into it so you only need a Low Drive model.

Good luck !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?