• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TNT 350 vs.Texas Star 350hdv?

You don't need the High Drive model. The "drive" refers to the dead key imput. You are planning on putting a low dead key into it so you only need a Low Drive model.

Good luck !

Well since the only difference between the 350 and the 350hdv is the fact the 350hdv has a variable potentiometer so your previous post lends no technical value to this thread and subsequently detracts from it.

The link Quicksilver posted clearly shows this. Texas Star Export Feature Chart

I would stay clear of Copper and H & Y for a Texas Star purchase. There are plenty of shops that sell them ready to go and they actually stand behind what they sell. By the way, that 199 dollar price was not converted, that cost extra.

If you must have the Texas Star then look here. Texas Star Amplifiers
The TnT 350 is a better built and performing amplifier and cost less.
TNT 350hd

Transistors 2 x 2SC2879
Dimensions H 4 1/4' x L 7 1/8' x W 41/4'
Amp Draw (maximum) 29
Class B biasing
SSB Delay auto
Pre-amp yes
Driver Required N/A
Power Output (RMS) 150 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 400 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) N/A
Driven Power (PEP) N/A
install recommended with 8ga wire
and 50a fuse. Max input carrier of
5w or 120w max carrier from amp.
Max peak input 120w.

Price: $224.99

You don't need the High Drive model. The "drive" refers to the dead key imput. You are planning on putting a low dead key into it so you only need a Low Drive model.

Good luck !

The term HD on a Texas Star 350 is a mute point, a dead key of 1.5 - 2.5 watts is all either need. I would keep peak input wattage at 35 or less.

So if I buy the Texas Star from Sparkys it is converted, correct? I just don't want to buy something that won't work, if you know what I mean.

The last TNT I heard was a little rough sounding on SSB (Class B) but with the radio off he sounded smooth.
The Texas Star 350 was the first amp I've used that doesn't sound rough on SSB. (Class AB)

If I were you I'd bite the bullet and just get a 667. If you're like just about everyone else I know, it will only be a few months after you buy the 350 that you'll wish you had. :unsure:

The last TNT I heard was a little rough sounding on SSB (Class B) but with the radio off he sounded smooth.
The Texas Star 350 was the first amp I've used that doesn't sound rough on SSB. (Class AB)

If I were you I'd bite the bullet and just get a 667. If you're like just about everyone else I know, it will only be a few months after you buy the 350 that you'll wish you had. :unsure:

if his radio was OFF how did he sound smooth ? how did he transmit ? LOL

i had a 500V and 16 watts pep would drive it to 500 pep , 21 watts would drive it to almost 600 watts pep . id just get a 500V and skip the 667 with a driver pill , you certainly don't need it with a radio doing 30 watts pep .

LOL thats what I was wondering. I would buy a Texas Star 500v ANY DAY over a 667.

dittio and get it at either sparkys or customcbradios.com
i have no experience with the tnt but do know the texas star
line is good. the only way id choose the 2 pill if it was a stock
cb 4 watt swing 12 max.but thats me

don't underestimate the effectiveness of a 2 pill . 500 watts pep didn't let me talk to anyone that 200 watts pep wouldn't make the trip to . 60 to 70 miles away didn't make or break a contact and on skip i seemed to make the same amount of contacts . it probably took me about 30 seconds to disconnect the 259s from one amp and connect them to the other .

but then again since theres only a $100 difference between a 350 and a 500v ...... if you got the extra c-note to spare the 500v is a better watt per dollar value ...... as long as you can feed it the amps it needs . unfortunately doubling power has little effect so the effect per dollar winner is the 2 pill .

decisions decisions decisions :)

...well, you see, ...it was like this... Uh, I was standing outside his window?

OK, so I'm a bonehead sometimes! :headbang I meant AMPLIFIER not radio... :redface:

I don't see 30w pep getting him more than about 300 out of the 500. I had one which was recently stolen and I had to hit it with ~50w pep to get 500 pep out.

I liked my 667 best of all, but the next one will need about 3-4 times the current the 667 required! :whistle:

That's 3db, I'll take 3db all day long ;)
You only need about a 2dB increase to clearly overtalk someone with whom you had been equal so yes, 3dB is an healthy gain, and more than a full S-unit on many a meter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.