• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TNT 350 vs.Texas Star 350hdv?

a side question:
what do you change in the TS 350 to make it AB biased. do you change the resistors - or other parts too? sorry for the dumb question

For the guys with amp smarts around here. Are the texas star amps truely a AB class amp or more a class B. All I know is a Texas star 250 caused more tvi on a small tv I used as a test subject than a Magna Force 350 did. What would cause this?

what kind of deadkey and swing were you putting into and getting out of the different amps ?

I was using a uniden grant. 1 watt dk on the ts. 3 watt dk on the magna. I ran them like I would using them everyday. About 18 watts pep. Wasnt nothing high tech I know but this is what I saw.

I got a question. I have the general 40hP peaked in tuned on the high side dead keys 40 swings 100 plus with the Texas Star 350 high power work with that or is that too much input wattage on a dead key?

That's way too much drive for any Texas Star amp smaller than a Sweet Sixteen.
For a 350 that's instant cab filled with 10 ohm smoke.
Don't even try it.

Jeff
So what could I connect inside of a semi to work with a general 40 HP ? Even if i turn it down , what could you recommend?

Last edited:
Unless you can supply the DC power to run a 80-Amp or more amplifier, that radio's too big for small linears.

I would not use one smaller than 8 transistors with that radio. A rough rule of 10 or 12 Amps per transistor is a starting point with most amplifiers using 12-Volt transistors.

And if you had a radio that was one-fourth that wattage, a linear one-fourth as big would make sense.

The "turn it down" method almost never works for very long. Sooner or later a knob gets bumped, the mike gets keyed and the amplifier gets poofed.

Here is an article that explains the distance limits of adding power. With the biggest gain being your first hundred watts, you will be doing well with just the radio. Of course, more power never hurts. It might be possible to turn the radio power down with an adjustment on the board inside. That way the power knob wouldn't get bumped.

Here is an article that explains the distance limits of adding power. With the biggest gain being your first hundred watts, you will be doing well with just the radio. Of course, more power never hurts. It might be possible to turn the radio power down with an adjustment on the board inside. That way the power knob wouldn't get bumped.

Good info.

Jeff

So what could I connect inside of a semi to work with a general 40 HP ? Even if i turn it down , what could you recommend?

I would get on Facebook and look for 307 Amplifiers, Hopper Built or Carl Built amplifiers. You can explain what radio you have, what modes you like to talk on (AM,FM,SSB), and what the power output of your radio is when the RF power is all the way down. Then these amp builders can tell you what they can make for you that will work.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I would get on Facebook and look for 307 Amplifiers, Hopper Built or Carl Built amplifiers. You can explain what radio you have, what modes you like to talk on (AM,FM,SSB), and what the power output of your radio is when the RF power is all the way down. Then these amp builders can tell you what they can make for you that will work.

I have dealt with Carl.
Carl is straight with you about what his stuff will do.
I had a problem with one of his amps one time and he made it right with no hesitation.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated