• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tone control on your d104-m

Hey, all. I'm new here, but here is a trick one of my freinds did. He used an old Fender Stratocaster tone control, in line with the audio wire on the mic connector. Just use the center wire, and the wire soldered to a cap. You then have tons of treble/bass adjustment. You can get them cheap at a guitar store, or google "guitar tonr control" and tailor make your own. Clapton does it all of the time, and I think he knows a bit about guitars and tone. Just a thought.

D104 TONE CONTROL MODS

would love to try this mod myself but, dont read schematics and would need more detailed pictures
any help ?

morse, mack's and robalo's pics show pretty clearly what to do. i dont think bob85's pics showed anything more.

wire weasel, here is a link to the PDF i got the cap mods for the D104 desk mics from:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Xb_shSUJQ&sig2=mrls6gy7dPxBILyYVy11ag&cad=rja

i added the 33K ohm resistor to the mic line and did the three cap changes.
i did NOT poke holes in my mic element and i wouldnt recommend anyone else do that.

i think it sounds better after these mods.
LC
I suppose you did not notice mine and bob's pics are the same.

I run my 575 all the way down. Gives me more modulation/audio gain on AM. My tech peak/tuned and aligned my 146GTL with swing kit. On AM, I cant even crack it open on AM. mic gain on the 575 is all the way down and it still picks up my voice. O SSB I just move the gain up a bit.

Might try to grab one of the D104MB or a Road Devil......

Great mod. James....

D104 TONE CONTROL

Been trying to view the pictures, tried enlarging them to see exactly what you did .
as soon as i can understand the pics better, im going to add a tone control to my hand held.
you may have to get a few more close ups of the resistor and solder points.
i see that you use 2 legs of the variable resistor to 1 of the solder points , or thats what it looks like in the picture.

D104 TONE CONTROL

i just cut the resistor on my D104 m did not add a 2.5 or 2 meg pot, was told it is now louder and had more bottom end then before,
will add a 2 meg pot later and see if that helps,
till then, im gonna get a few more radio checks .

D104 TONE CONTROL

Rather then adding a 2 meg pot, im just gonna add a switch instead .
that way i can bring my mic back to stock condition or add bass if i want,
i dont think id be setting my tone control half way,it either needs bass or not.
just have to figure where im gonna put the switch, possibly directly under the front chrome screen where im not gonna accidently hit it with the palm of my hand.

D104 TONE CONTROL

i finally picked myself up a Astatic 575 and did the comparason to a D104 with the clipped resistor, a few people told me there was only about a 3 % difference between the 2 mics.
also,. a friend of mine that has the same radio and both the 575 and the D104 m6b mic with the clipped resistor, did the same test and i only heard a 3% difference off his radio.
seems the 575 had a wee bit more modulation and a bit higher mid range , to and untrained ear, you wouldnt hear the difference.
my next mic will be a RF lmtd CR 577

I tried this mod on my D-104/M6B, This mic sounded exceptionally nasty before the mod; putting a 1m/ohm pot didn't seem to do enough. So I just left the clipped leg of the 270k ohm resistor open and it sounds WAAAY better than it did before.

Thanks for the tip, Bob85

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
clipping the resistor sounds ok with some peoples voice & radio rob, a 2meg pot gives about the same range of adjustment as a 575,
sealing around the cartridge with foam or similar also helps.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.