• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Top Gun Modulator

That was my take as well - the radio to me sounded fairly good straight out of the box with only minor adjustments.

FOR THE FREQUENCY CHANGE IN THE AUDIO - it's the Galaxy Radio drifting most likely in the colder weather. I know in testing even after a full alignment the radio could be at 27.3847 at turn on and end up at 27.3850 once warmed up, then move to 27.3852 when talking for 10 minutes and heating up. When running the 959 or 979 I usually will unlock the clarifier and for the 979 I'd add the 6 digit frequency counter.

I think it's good to point out again that I am not a technician, just a guy who messes around with a lot of CB radios like everyone here. I don't have any qualifications that necessarily give any reason why my opinion would be better than anyone else's or necessarily the correct opinion.

My online website has never been intended to be the end all be all of knowledge and I am quite aware that there are numerous individuals with more technical expertise than myself.

My intention has always been to give people more information about the hobby and to continue to interest new people in getting a CB radio. I like to try to show people how to do their own mods and tuning so that they won't be at the mercy of some of the so-called technicians out there who charge $50 to turn a pot.

So while a test like this can be considered crude in many aspects it was a simple real world comparison of before and after with a self install.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
That was my take as well - the radio to me sounded fairly good straight out of the box with only minor adjustments.

I think it's good to point out again that I am not a technician, just a guy who messes around with a lot of CB radios like everyone here. I don't have any qualifications that necessarily give any reason why my opinion would be better than anyone else's or necessarily the correct opinion.

My online website has never been intended to be the end all be all of knowledge and I am quite aware that there are numerous individuals with more technical expertise than myself.

My intention has always been to give people more information about the hobby and to continue to interest new people in getting a CB radio. I like to try to show people how to do their own mods and tuning so that they won't be at the mercy of some of the so-called technicians out there who charge $50 to turn a pot.

So while a test like this can be considered crude in many aspects it was a simple real world comparison of before and after with a self install.

I wasn't insinuating anything about your credentials as I'm no professionally trained tech my self but merely what my ears heard and I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your reviews.

Not all products placed on the market perform like they do under laboratory conditions which is made clearly by your video.

Again thanks.

:) Hey Mack - my reply was in reference to what nascar was pointing out about me saying I wasn't a tech :)

I think in all fairness I'll do a re-install on another 979 and perform the audio test with my other receiver for a better comparison and to make sure my solder points were all clean. I think I'll go further away for the audio test as well. I'll reload the new audio test to youtube once I complete a second test.

I've been having trouble with my eyes in the last year so looking at points on a board and soldering has becoming increasingly difficult but I do my best :) Been using a magnifying lamp and it helps.

:) Hey Mack - my reply was in reference to what nascar was pointing out about me saying I wasn't a tech :)

I think in all fairness I'll do a re-install on another 979 and perform the audio test with my other receiver for a better comparison and to make sure my solder points were all clean. I think I'll go further away for the audio test as well. I'll reload the new audio test to youtube once I complete a second test.

I've been having trouble with my eyes in the last year so looking at points on a board and soldering has becoming increasingly difficult but I do my best :) Been using a magnifying lamp and it helps.

I'm a member of that club also.;)

Boy .... double what MACK said in reply. Years ago, when I was working in an electronics factory, one of our test set repairman asked me to help him on a test set he was trying to fix. I spotted a lead clipping that was shorting out a switch contact, and he said," Man you've got eyes like a hawk! " I wish that was true today !!! But as long as they make magnifying glasses and eye loupes that are really strong, I will continue to hang in there.

>>...My intention has always been to give people more information about the hobby and to continue to interest new people in getting a CB radio. I like to try to show people how to do their own mods and tuning so that they won't be at the mercy of some of the so-called technicians

No need to apologize. "Keep on Truckin'", as was the phrase back in the day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?