• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tower Ground Rod Spacing

Ok what is the spacing between ground rods used to ground antenna on tower. I will be running solid copper ground wire from a gang box holding my Polyphaser lightning arrestors. I have three 8' ground rods going to make a triange shape, tieing all three ground rods together with the ground wire. Just need to know the correct spacing between ground rods. I was thinking 6' apart.

Merry Christmas all.

Drifter said:
Ok what is the spacing between ground rods used to ground antenna on tower. I will be running solid copper ground wire from a gang box holding my Polyphaser lightning arrestors. I have three 8' ground rods going to make a triange shape, tieing all three ground rods together with the ground wire. Just need to know the correct spacing between ground rods. I was thinking 6' apart.

Merry Christmas all.

Heres some pretty good info for a lot of grounding stuff for radios

http://www.iceradioproducts.com/10.html

Ron

Cat Driver said:
Drifter said:

Merry Christmas all.

Heres some pretty good info for a lot of grounding stuff for radios

http://www.iceradioproducts.com/10.html

Ron
This is what I am going to do!!!

TECHNICAL PUBLICATION #36
Grounding Coaxial Cable Shields: Why, Where, and How
Even today it's a controversial subject - but we don't know why. The purpose and importance of grounding coaxial line shields is so critical to safe and clean telecommunication station operation that it should not be a matter of discussion, except as a how-to subject such as this paper represents.

Coaxial cable used in radio and television work is referred to as unbalanced line primarily because the center conductor carries the current and signal voltage nearly all to itself. The shield of the transmission line is just that - a shield. It carries no current except for a small induced current flowing as the result of induction by length. In a perfectly matched system the current in the shield is almost nil. That's also why in most modern applications coaxial cable shields are fitted to connectors without soldering - only compression fitting. Center conductors carry the current during transmission so they are generally soldered in place.

But that doesn't mean that the shield has no work to do, and that's the purpose of this brief technical narrative. Coaxial shields provide a protection for the center conductor and prevent ground level line leakage during transmission, noise pickup from external local sources during reception, continuous impedance matching, and physical rigidity to the line.

Short distance grounding of coaxial shields introduces an earthen neutral integrity to the shield and provides a drain source for the very types of disturbances the shield is designed to resist. It's very common to hear of stories relating how interference to other services disappeared or reception noise was reduced when shield grounding was accomplished. In lightning protection applications the shield is an exposed element, and when lightning strikes overhead or a direct "hit" occurs to antennas and tower frames it's not unusual to find as much as 80% of the applied current seeking ground through the transmission line flows down the shield. If the lightning currents do not find earth through a dissipation point before reaching the radio equipment chassis then damage to the station gear will nearly always result. In severe cases injury or loss of structure can occur.

Grounding of shields is easy and requires little experience or effort. The connections for grounding should always be done at ground level if maximum value is to be obtained, and the lead length from shield to earth entry point (the dirt) should be kept as short as possible - less than a foot if possible. Using a commercial grounding block is a very neat way of accomplishing the task, but making your own shield connections can, be done as well. Cutting the cable, inserting connectors and grounding the shield by attachment to the connectors is a common method but suffers from the inevitable impedance "bump" in the line at that point and the possibility of exposure to water or contaminants. Removing the outer plastic with a sharp knife carefully, wrapping a solid copper wire around the exposed shield and then grounding the wire is another method that seems to work well and doesn't leave an impedance irregularity in the line.
However the work is done is far less important than making sure it gets done, and establishing a common point for multiple shield grounding makes sense in stations that use many different transmission lines. But the most important element is to be sure that the coaxial cable lines are ALWAYS brought to the ground surface first, and that shield grounding, is accomplished at that point BEFORE the cable continues on its way to reach station equipment. Keep the connections clean, tight, and waterproof - then relax and enjoy the benefits of your efforts!

TAKEN FROM ICE LTD Website!!

Drifter,
There's no standard "rule" for the distance between ground rods. Depends on how big the ground rods are and the conductivity of the soil they are placed in. A very 'general' rule of thumb is to make each side of that 'triangle' at least one ground rod long. More distance than that is 'good' till you get to some ridiculous length (or you get tired of the whole @#$ thing and quit). Burying the conductors connecting the ground rods to the tower turns those 'conductors' into radials, which is also good, presents more 'contact' area with dirt. How deep? Deep enough so that you don't yank it all up when you run over it with the lawn mower. Is deeper better than shallower? Not really, where's the most moisture, shallow or deep? Which goes back to what kind of soil do you have.
Basically, get the rods as far apart as practical... stay out of your neighbor's yard.
- 'Doc

Pretty much everything I have seen lately suggests that the ground rods be spaced at least twice their length. This allows the energy to be carried to ground by each rod from interfering with another rods ability to do the same thing by over saturating the ground with current.

Usefull grounding info

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated