• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube Amp for 11 meters

SmackDown

I have a Nitro 300 made by Transel. Old unit using sweep tubes. D/K's (for me) 275, swings 350 rms. I would like to have a unit with a D/K of 500 (or a little more) and swing to @ 1kW > 1.2kW on AM. And I want to avoid sweep tubes. I know most responses will lean toward the DC comp builders' ( I'll not name any brand ) AC boxes but I don't want to go that route. Is there a brand out there that will do what I mentioned above and maybe 2kW on SSB, ( AB1 biased with filtering of course ) or am I limited to sweep tube technology on this ?

73's

SmackDown said:
I have a Nitro 300 made by Transel. Old unit using sweep tubes. D/K's (for me) 275, swings 350 rms. I would like to have a unit with a D/K of 500 (or a little more) and swing to @ 1kW > 1.2kW on AM. And I want to avoid sweep tubes. I know most responses will lean toward the DC comp builders' ( I'll not name any brand ) AC boxes but I don't want to go that route. Is there a brand out there that will do what I mentioned above and maybe 2kW on SSB, ( AB1 biased with filtering of course ) or am I limited to sweep tube technology on this ?

73's

I hade a Nitro 300 made by Transel. nice units and mine was modded a bit but still couldn't do 1kw.lol

you can try a Heathkit SB220. I have one an keyup at 500 and swing 1000 or more on 11 meters it has to EZ-500 tubes in it.

I sure there be more posts on better tube amps....
Peace

If you're talking about AM and something around 1000 watts output, forget the SB-220, or any of the 3-500 type amplifiers, they just ain't gonna do it (4 tubes, maybe, big maybe!). Start looking at tubes with a plate dissipation capability in the 2 or 3 thousand watt range.
- 'Doc

I didn't look for a price for the 'Emtron', I'm not real sure I want to know, even if I am sitting down! The thing to remember is that there are no 'free lunches'. That applies to both cost and abilities. Sort of like taking a supercharged, fuel injected 'Briggs&Stratton' on the NASCAR circuit. Just not much chance of taking home a trophy... at least not the one most people are after. :)
- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
I didn't look for a price for the 'Emtron', I'm not real sure I want to know, even if I am sitting down! The thing to remember is that there are no 'free lunches'. That applies to both cost and abilities. Sort of like taking a supercharged, fuel injected 'Briggs&Stratton' on the NASCAR circuit. Just not much chance of taking home a trophy... at least not the one most people are after. :)
- 'Doc

I agree 'Doc that there are no 'free lunches'. But I personally can't justify spending that kind of money on an amplifier that will be used strictly on 11 meters. I think the less pricey Heathkit SB-220 is sufficient for use on 11 meters.

Actually when I posted the info about the amps I forgot what section we were in and that the request was for 11m only. I was thinking we were in the Amateur Radio forum. :oops:

Yeah those amps are a bit pricy for 11m use. Oh how I would love to have either one in my ham shack however,especially the Emtron. ;)

datsun66 said:
What's a real kick is talking to Vermont from Montana with only 100 watts.

You want a REAL kick? Try talking with 100 watts from Nova Scotia to Rodrigues Island via long path WHILE MOBILE. It's a mere 15,000 miles. Been there.Done that. Am ecstatic about it. ;) Of course being on 20m at the time helps. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.