• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube Amp for 11 meters

SmackDown said:
Between the Heathkit SB-220, the Pride DX300 and the Dentron MLA 2500B which of these 3 linears would develop more output if used on AM (11 meters)? Which of these linears can be driven with 100 > 150 watts ? I've read about SB-220's that had 4 tubes. Is that the normal configuration, 4 tube sockets in the SB-220 ? Does the Pride DX300 and Dentron MLA 2500B also have multiple tube sockets ? I'm looking to upgrade to a non sweeptube linear and these are the three I'm looking at.
SB-220: 2 X 3-500Z tubes. This amplifier was designed for SSB use and therefore 33% duty cycle. The power supply is not big enough to give full output on AM. Drive for this amp is in the order of 100 watts. If you run it in AM and you want it to last, you need to run it on LOW/TUNE. Others run the snot out of it and it works, but will eventually destroy the amp. Nomad Radio has a few circuit modifications to change the bias for AM operation. There were mods to add more tubes to this amp and they are foolish. I'm a one tube man; if a single tube does not give you the desired output, get a bigger tube. This amp is the exception and a pair of 3-500ZG tubes works great! Just remember that the power supply was not designed for full output on AM!

Dentron MLA 2500B:This amp uses a pair of ceramic tubes that are no longer made. There is a modification to change this amp over to use a pair of 3CX800A7 tubes from Svetlana.

http://support2.overkalix.se/~sm2yer/shack/amp_mla2500/convert_3cx400a.pdf
http://dk9ip.ba-karlsruhe.de/pdf/mla2500/

This is your best bang for the buck using ceramic tubes. A pair of 4CX250B will NOT give you 2400 watts and is a foolish mod for this amp!

Pride DX-300/KW-1There are TWO versions of this amp, both using a single 4CX250B tube. This is my all time favorite CB amp! The KW-1 will take 100 watts drive but is not recommended. The DX-300 is a low drive amp. I keyed mine with 2 watts from a Cobra 2000 and it sounded great doing about 350 to 500 peak! Actually, you couldn't "hear" it, you just saw an increase in signal. I ran it on low only! On HIGH it would put out 900 watts peak and sounded like CRAP! I NEVER ran it on HIGH! Nomad Radio has a number of modifications for this amp and it is the driver of choice for many of the BOWL BUDDIES.

Sweep tube amps are sweep tube amps. What I was trying to say in my last post is that it is a waste of time to convert a sweep tube amp to a ceramic tube amp. If you want to run a sweep tube amp, convert it to run the 509 tubes because they are cheap and plentiful.

You need to ask yourself, what kind of power output do you want and how full is your checking account!

okay, since my concern at this time is AM operation I think I'm reading that I maybe should get the newer Phantom 500 with three settings and have someone convert the tubes to the 509/519 series ???? I guess I can drive that with a 50 watt modulator. The Dentron MLA2500B is a hard to impossible find. There is a Dentron clippertron on ebay but it hasn't been mentioned at all in any of the responses. There is an SB-220 and a Pride DX300 without the kw-1 suffix. I'm trying to maximize what I can do with my available greenstamps.

3's

lords said:
Unit 194 said:
SmackDown, if you do decide to go with the SB-220 on 11 meters you won't be unhappy. I'm very satisfied with the performance of my SB-220 on both AM and SB. :D :D

I second that statement i am very happy :) and i even keep the load backed down some :p

I hear ya! Loud and Clear!:) :)

okay what changes need be made to change from 6LQ6 to EL509/519 ??? I read the pins will stretch the socket receptors then I read that maybe changing the sockets altogether is good because of higher heat. Are there circuit changes that need to be made also ? Is anyone here aware of the changes and care to share. I have the triple stage Phantom, older type with the keying tube.

3's

A modulator is completely different than a linear. You usually find them in broadcast transmitters.

I'll let QRN educate us.

Master Chief said:
A modulator is completely different than a linear. You usually find them in broadcast transmitters.

I'll let QRN educate us.

I'm not touching this one. I speak a differant language when it comes to amplifier output levels and exactly what modulators really are. :roll: ;)

...in the case of the black cat JB-12 the output in watts is barely 100 but the modulation is over 100%... I recently saw a Maco Brute II advertised on craigslist. The seller claims it produced 200% modulation at 80>100 watts total.

I still need a source for EL509/519's without my having to lose a limb :LOL:

3's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.