• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tubes 3-500 or 4-400

The 'best' tube to use is the one you have the most of, or can find the cheapest, or at least can find or have access to. Of the two choices, I'd rather have the 3-500's because of the higher plate dissipation. After that, they just aren't that 'far' apart really. I ~think~ the 3-500's will be easier to find (maybe cheaper) than the 4-400's, but that's just a guess...
- 'Doc

Number15 said:
Just got a big amplifier today and the guy told me it could use 2x 3-500z or 2x 4-400 what is the best tube to use??? and why. Thank u.

3-500's are 500 watts and 4-400's are 400 watts

so you could weight the odds.. do you want - 200 watts or do you want 200+ watts is the 3-500's easier to find then the 4-400's or are the 4-400's easier to find then the 3-500's

RFParts

Number15 said:
Just got a big amplifier today and the guy told me it could use 2x 3-500z or 2x 4-400 what is the best tube to use??? and why. Thank u.

So this amplifier accepts either tube?

The 3-500z is a triode. with nearly 13dB of gain.
the 4-400 is a tetrode, with a screen, and at least 20dB of gain.

The tube socket looks the same to me.
But I doubt they can just be swapped one for the other just willy nilly.

You're right, they are not direct replacements. But, not really ~that~ much difference, sort of. It would mean some changes to circuitry. If it's worth the effort is up to the 'changer'.
- 'Doc

I talked to the last owner he says that he got the tubes that were in there and its 4-400 and he says that i can have it two of them and they are new he never got around to useing that so tubes never got installed. And i can have them for 150.00 that a good price.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated