1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

turner +3b desk mic

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by tvrc18, Jun 15, 2011.

1. tvrc18

tvrc18
    Expand Collapse

I have been trying to use a turner +3b with my 2510 and most contacts say the audio is not right. I have it turned way down about 8 or 9 o-clock on the tone setting. I have gone back to my stock mic and get better reports. I wonder if some of the electrolytic caps may be going bad in the turner. I always thought they worked good on ssb. I guess also they may not work good on some radios.

2. Moleculo

Moleculo
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

If it's like my Turner +3 (not the B version), the gain adjustment on the mic is REALLY touchy. You basically have to monitor yourself on another rig while adjusting it because if it's just a hair too high, your audio goes to crap. When you get it right though, it really can sound good.

3. tvrc18

tvrc18
    Expand Collapse

Yea it does seem to be really touchy. I have been turning it down till the ssb output shows next to nothing and then turn it up till I just starting getting full output

4. RatsoW8

RatsoW8
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

You can also push the mic gain button "in" on the 2510 to reduce the gain a little. If someone removed the limiter in the radio you may not be able to use the turner or any amplified mic. My 2510 was hacked before I bought it and even with the stock hand mic and the gain bitton pushed in it's very hot.

5. tvrc18

tvrc18
    Expand Collapse

I bought it new and the only mod is the frequency expansion mod. I am going to look at the caps in the mic and see how they look. I did try it turning on the mic attenuator and it was maybe better.

6. Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper
    Expand Collapse

When using a Turner +3 mic you should talk softly , noise cancelling mics and average mics require harder tones, but not the +3, not sure if you had any previous exp with +3 s

7. Tucker442

Tucker442
    Expand Collapse
    101E

I've had great audio with all Turner mics other than the +2's. I used a hand held expander400 on my 2510 with great reports, also have like 5 or 6 +3, Lafayette Range boost, and +3B's never having a cap issue so really I would look elsewhere for the problem or maybe just try a different power mic