• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

turner +3b desk mic

tvrc18

May 1, 2011
I have been trying to use a turner +3b with my 2510 and most contacts say the audio is not right. I have it turned way down about 8 or 9 o-clock on the tone setting. I have gone back to my stock mic and get better reports. I wonder if some of the electrolytic caps may be going bad in the turner. I always thought they worked good on ssb. I guess also they may not work good on some radios.

If it's like my Turner +3 (not the B version), the gain adjustment on the mic is REALLY touchy. You basically have to monitor yourself on another rig while adjusting it because if it's just a hair too high, your audio goes to crap. When you get it right though, it really can sound good.

Yea it does seem to be really touchy. I have been turning it down till the ssb output shows next to nothing and then turn it up till I just starting getting full output

You can also push the mic gain button "in" on the 2510 to reduce the gain a little. If someone removed the limiter in the radio you may not be able to use the turner or any amplified mic. My 2510 was hacked before I bought it and even with the stock hand mic and the gain bitton pushed in it's very hot.

I bought it new and the only mod is the frequency expansion mod. I am going to look at the caps in the mic and see how they look. I did try it turning on the mic attenuator and it was maybe better.

When using a Turner +3 mic you should talk softly , noise cancelling mics and average mics require harder tones, but not the +3, not sure if you had any previous exp with +3 s

I've had great audio with all Turner mics other than the +2's. I used a hand held expander400 on my 2510 with great reports, also have like 5 or 6 +3, Lafayette Range boost, and +3B's never having a cap issue so really I would look elsewhere for the problem or maybe just try a different power mic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.