• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TX'ing radio identification on system with repeater

alexcruncha

Aug 25, 2010
I have the need to identify which of 100 radios is transmitting on a repeater based system.

At one of our large customer sites they have a problem with individuals transmitting jokes who cannot be identified. They have asked us for a solution which will be able to tell who is transmitting at a given time. The customer put it simply... could we log the serial numbers of who is transmitting at any given time?

Since they have a TAIT 7100 repeater with 100 channels I had the idea of programming all of the radios with a different TX frequency, while all of them use the same RX frequency. The repeater would then be programmed to RX on all of the different channels and TX on the same channel. Then my idea would be to use something like the Kaltman Creations IW1800 PC Based Spectrum Analyzer, but I do not know if this will record/log timestamped transmissions on an ongoing basis.

Could anyone tell me if this is the right way to go about this or if there is some easier way. The only other thing that I can think of would be to programme the radios with different use DCS/CTCSS tones that could be logged using some special device that I am unaware of.... this would be much easier to setup as programming a repeater when each individual handset is added to the system (which is often) could be a can of worms... especially as they need a license for their bands

How many unique sub-audible 'tones' do you have available in your system? Or combination of 'tones'? Or audible tones? That would seem much simpler than other ways.
- 'Doc

Sub-tones

The radios they have are Alinco DJ-V47 with 39 tones... as per spec:
DJ-V17T/E Detail information

I guess we could assign the same enc-tones to groups of radios so we could get many more than 39, which would be much easier. Further to this does anyone know what kind of equipment is available for logging radio transmissions and tones?

Check with someone that supplies and services radio systems to law enforcement. A lot of them have a unique ID programmed into the radios that TX a burst at the beginning of each TX that ID's the unit being used.

Solution found

I have found the answer... we need radios with ANI / PTT ID which transmits a programmable serial number at the start of each transmission.

Then we could use a logging system such as the ones provided by Midian Electronics ...their "ANI System" appear to be designed exactly for the job and there is a PC based version which has full data logging capabilities.

The only problem is that in my situation our customer would have to replace all of their radios since the Alinco are not equipped with PTT ID capability.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated