• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Ultimax Dxtreme

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
I'm really jonesing to bring my 11m mobile unit indoors, I think I'll enjoy it much more in the comfort of my own home.
One "minor" stumbling block is that I live in an HOA area. I've researched stealthy antennas and so forth briefly and came up with a few ideas for my shortlist. They being, tree antenna no ground plane?( not a dipole, ) , short antenna on a roof vent pipe ( b100 workman most seem to hate) other choices? Magmount on chimney cap, or even considered making a mast with pipes stuck in ground, but most of the antenna will be blocked by wall of the house, which might be useless or worst than b100? Ive also considered flag pole, but looks too involving.

The other thing I recently noticed on the internet was something called a Dxtreme ultimax hoa friendly antennas. Anyone experience this type of antenna system's for 11 m? They even sell a seperate counterpoise to get better reception and transmission for additional price. Looks stealthy, and these people aren't too far from me. I was looking at http://www.ultimax-antennas.com/store/p10/ULTIMAX_HW-END_FED_(NO_TUNER_ANTENNA).html or what you think would work better for 11m on their website.

Was thinking about mounting the wires one on roof peak horizontal and or side of eaves facing out perhaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Needle Bender

Just the other day I was reading Tom's website (w8ji) about no-counterpoise antennas like the Ultimax, it's a bit pricey for a balun & a piece of wire which is still going to use the coax shield for a necessary counterpoise.

Why not build a center-fed vertical dipole - maybe up in a tree (if you have one) with a slim copper tube 106" long slid over the coax from the split down?
It would be a lot less expensive and possibly (probably) perform better for local rag-chew.

How about some pics of your property & a few more details of how it's laid out?

**EDIT**
Another thing, since the Ultimax is cut for the HAMateur bands which are harmonic based, 11m would probably not be spot-on with regard to SWR, but adding a short piece of wire to the end might be helpful, though I believe it's transformer (somewhat lossy) based.

Are you thinking more about using it for local or more for DX contacts?

Last edited:
HomerBB has the plans for an end fed 11 meter antenna that uses a coil and tap for tuning. I used it on 11 and 10 meters, and it worked quite well!
Brett

The dx contacts usage would be nice, locals so far to me is a posse of folks on ch6 and a drunk on ch24 mainly lol.

I was thinking about using an existing ( non used ) cable tv coax wall plate which exits to the outside to bring in new coax. That part was easy. Will disconnect and merely use the pre drilled hole in wall. There is an old oak tree in the front of the house and close to the room in question. Trouble is, its half dead I think and exposed to neighbors across the road and next door. So they'll see what I'm upto.
Other area is approx 80 feet from the wannabe radio room, its a bunch of trees between my back yard to golf course. Normally habitated by rats, racoons but mainly squirels.

I just wanted a comprise to start me off, something perhaps semi permanent. Hence my original ideas of magmount no chimney top or b100 strapped aroundmroof vent pipe.

Reactions: Needle Bender
The dx contacts usage would be nice, locals so far to me is a posse of folks on ch6 and a drunk on ch24 mainly lol.

I was thinking about using an existing ( non used ) cable tv coax wall plate which exits to the outside to bring in new coax. That part was easy. Will disconnect and merely use the pre drilled hole in wall. There is an old oak tree in the front of the house and close to the room in question. Trouble is, its half dead I think and exposed to neighbors across the road and next door. So they'll see what I'm upto.
Other area is approx 80 feet from the wannabe radio room, its a bunch of trees between my back yard to golf course. Normally habitated by rats, racoons but mainly squirels.

I just wanted a comprise to start me off, something perhaps semi permanent. Hence my original ideas of magmount no chimney top or b100 strapped aroundmroof vent pipe.

Check your CCNRs, I believe it's a Federal standard to be allowed a roof antenna at a max tip height of 12 feet, in which case you could build a Starduster-type from a painted 1" copper 1/4 wave tube supported by about 4' of thick wall PCV and 1/4 wave long metallic guy lines for the counterpoise down to the roof, with a small TV butterfly or even a good TV DX antenna on top, - even useable as a capacity hat to elevate the radials a bit if necessary by allowing a shortening of the radiator in the vertical plane.

...only 100w :unsure:
- How could that EVER be considered enough for the 12w pep 11m band!??! :whistle:

Last edited:
holder.jpg A possible simple solutuon is one of these made of plastic. Put a metal tube in it cut to length for 1/2 of a dipole (It can actually be used for flying a flag). A thin wire hanging down from it is your other 1/2 of the dipole. Simple and fast.
Do you have any decent attic area? I have used a full wavelength wire loop in my attic with two opposite sides 0.125^ long and the other two 0.375^ long (roughly 6'x12'). Hung it long side up along roof ridge slanted with the roof pitch. Naturally, it's a compromise antenna, but being a full wavelength it does better than a dipole in the attic, and being mounted slanted does well locally and DX.

Last edited:
View attachment 20962 A possible simple solutuon is one of these made of plastic. Put a metal tube in it cut to length for 1/2 of a dipole (It can actually be used for flying a flag). A thin wire hanging down from it is your orher 1/2 of the dipole. Simple and fast.
Do you have any decent attic area? I have used a full wavelength wire loop in my attic with two opposite sides 0.125^ long and the other two 0.375^ long (roughly 6'x12'). Hung it long side up along roof ridge slanted with the roof pitch. Naturally, it's a compromise antenna, but being a full wavelength it does better than a dipole in the attic, and being mounted slanted does well locally and DX.

Do you happen to have any pics of the install?

Id rather steer clear of my attic since the area accessible to me has the air handler for the AC system there.

Another idea has come to my little mind, was thinking of perhaps 15' pole and attaching antenna via u clamps on top area, creating a temp hole in the ground which I can stick the mast into , this will allow me to easily remove and lay down mast when hoa police complain.

Only issue I see which is major , would be the ground plane counter poise.?

Or better still instead of putting the mast in the ground hole for support, perhaps drill two brackets on wall to attach mast to allowing antenna to clear the roof of home. Single story. Again ground plane issues come to mind. I really dont want to use a Saturn B100 or no ground plane, are they really that bad?

I do not any photos.
I have used many EFHW (end fed half wave) antennas, most of them homebrew. They are not "so bad". In fact, I have had good experiences with them.
Take a look at this vertical dipole thread - http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/vertical-sleeved-dipole-how-to.132987/

This project can be simplified to a handful of supplies.
1) A few screws
2) 2' of 3/4" PVC pipe
3) one 13' extendable fiberglass fishing pole (Walmart, Target, etc - $10)
4) one 8'7" metal tube (EMT, copper, aluminum, etc)
The thread suggests an upper and lower aluminum tube. Using the fishing pole and piece of wire, presumably the exposed 9' center coax conductor, the antenna will be very durable and lightweight more so than with an upper metal tube.
There have been more than a few of these around NW Arkansas put to use.

Well, after reading OTARD, it appears you might be able to have a fairly tall mast if there's a "Distant TV station" you need height to receive which carries programming you cannot otherwise get.
You should investigate the details, possibly a 3-5 section mast might be fully legal if supporting a TV antenna at a necessary height.

Or you might research protected birds in your area, install a minimum height (30' in CA for the Wood Duck!) birdhouse supported by several lengths of doubled redwood
2"x 4"s (to make a 4"x 4") with wire & coax up the inside between the two to make a center fed vertical dipole, then see if'n y'all cain't get it registered it with the federally protected bird species sanctuary act registry (if there even IS .such a thing) so it might supercede & circumvent any CCNR structure/height restrictions.

I feel it would be ill-advised to alert the "Gestapo" to even the idea .that your home is a potential future breach of CCNR rules, by putting something up which you know will probably bring to you a letter of demand for compliance, for you'll be putting yourself in their crosshairs.

No, I'm not one of those that keeps them informed about my ideas or plans.

I think a 15 to 20 foot pole with a antenna on top will work, just need to be done in a way where it can be be un"erected" lol. Example, pull it out and lay it down on the ground when not in use. Question goes begging, what to put on the end of the 20 foot pole? Something that can lay down horizontal when not in use, lots of no ground plane ideas come to mind but aren't they rubbish?

Also, I have a unused cable TV socket on the outside wall , what sort of connector do i need similar to the one on the end of the wilson 1000 coax that unscews allowing for tight holes lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.