1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

uniden grant xl 10 meter mod

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by KD0GOJ, Nov 17, 2009.

1. KD0GOJ

KD0GOJ Member

Has any one done this mod on there grant
    10 Meter Conversion

***For Licensed Amateur Radio Operators Only*** This very easy conversion of your XL will give you a back up SSB 10 meter radio. Find crystal "X3" which is a 11.325 MHz Change crystal "X3" to a 11.6908 MHzThis will give you 28.060 MHz to 28.500 MHz

Just found it and have been wanting a 10 meter radio for my jeep
    and since i can't afford one just now

Thanks
    KD0GOJ

2. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator Staff Member

There was some discussion here a long time ago about doing this on a Cobra 148GTL (same radio). I remember some saying that it works quite well!

3. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Administrator

I believe this is one.

4. Robb

Robb Yup

Q: When this mod is done; isn't it also necessary to 'broadband' the TX - or else a loss of power due to filtering restrictions still present?

5. KD0GOJ

KD0GOJ Member

Thanks for the info guys
    I will be talking to the local tech and see what it cost.
    I think it is a little over my level of skill.
    I will see if santa will have it done for me.
    Thanks again
    KD0GOJ

6. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator Staff Member

You will probably have to broadband the bandpass filter otherwise you can get some power drop off. There is a discussion about that mod in this thread:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/radio-ra...ns/36585-cobra-148gtl-unident-grant-mods.html

7. loosecannon

loosecannon break on through

if you just change the crystal; you will just have to re-align the radio for that freq range.
    you wont have to broadband it.

if you want to keep the CB band and be able to switch back and forth between 10 and 11 meters; you will have to broadband the radio, but you will still experience a power drop at the band edges.

best bet is just to change the crystal and have the radio realigned for the new freq range.

good luck, and make sure you get a crystal with the right characteristics. otherwise the SSB will suffer.
    LC

8. jazzsinger

jazzsinger Bullshit Buster

I wouldn't have thought the drop off at band edges would be too severe as its only 1.5 mhz bandwidth,a realignment would probably suffice although I am not familiar with that chassis and slight broadbanding may be necessary to vco or tx mixer.
    Couldn't agree more for optimum performance.
    Very good advice,the wrong load capacitance on the new crystal could have dire effects on clarifier circuit swing.