• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Used Yaesu FT-747 GX Radio

Well, I have not received a rely from the seller in about 5 days, so I think this deal is just about dead. Maybe he got tired of me asking to see it work? Not sure. I will keep looking for a used system.

Well there ya go Bubba. Maybe there is something to hide and he's looking to dump a problem on someone.

Folks buy radios with problems all the time....because they can fix them or it's worth to cost to get it fixed versus the reduced purchase price of a broken radio.

The problems obviously happen when a seller tries to sell off a broken radio as working for at or near full working value. This happens all the time at hamfests when all kinds of folks you don't know have gear sitting on a table. Buyer beware. So many of the bigger hamfests began setting up test tables with power and antennas or dummy loads and anyone could tote a rig over there and test it out.

Good luck getting a radio. There's hundreds of good rigs available all the time.

That's what I am thinking also Wire Weasel. Either that or he found another buyer. Either way, I will be getting a radio. I don't have my license yet, so all I could do right now is learn how the radio works and listen. But I am almost finished reading the study guide, I have beentaking practice tests and hope to take my exam the last weekend of the month.

There are lots of used radios out there. I can't believe how much some of them go for on Ebay though. Lots of stuff goes for almost new prices. I will get something. If I end up buying new I will probably get a UHF/VHF dual band radio and start there. I cant quite afford a new HF rig just yet.

Ham Radio Outlet has the Icom IC-718 for $550 and a $50 rebate. I got one form them, a really decent first radio for me too. It comes with a free DSP board installed - hard to beat deal - especially for a first radio. And it's new w/warranty; so you wont be concerned for having to fix it for some time to come. Or- you can get a $350 radio that needs $200+ in repairs.
Which radio sounds like the better deal?

Hmmm. That might be doable. I have a 23amp power supply I just bought and I have the cable. I would need to build or buy an antenna. Probably buy, but I will eventually build one for grins. What else would I need? Would the automatic antenna tuner make things easier for a beginner?

Another good starter radio is the Yaesu FT-840 I have 2 of those and they are easy to run or operate for the beginner.

Sir
I have this rig and am going thru what your telling us about loss of power? my problem is when i go to set up for AM operations when i try to get the PO meter to read "4" it will not always do it but eventuallay it will go to "4" whic is the carrier wave for AM but until it decides to go to " i am talioks at halp power or less until it either wrms up, fixes itself or FM?(freaking Majic) '. Have you hear of this problem ? Is your solution apply to my problem/
Thanks
Oil2Gas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.