• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Varmint XL 1000 Quad Power going for $2K?!!

Sorry, I thought your post was the OP's amp of discussion...my bad. I know very little about electronics, but I've heard more than once that Varmints are not built very well.

You gotta hand it to the guy who posted the second one. He had it up for sale within minutes of the first auction ending! :rolleyes:

V8Vega said: Sorry, I thought your post was the OP's amp of discussion...my bad. I know very little about electronics, but I've heard more than once that Varmints are not built very well.

They really weren't bad amps for what they were designed to do. Back in the day, you could always tell (by their audio) when someone was running a Varmint. You could also tell when someone was beating a Varmint too hard as well..... "Squeeeeeeel!!" was all you'd hear, or so over-modulated that you couldn't understand a word they'd be saying.

I'd own one..... if it was given to me. :love:

SR

You gotta hand it to the guy who posted the second one. He had it up for sale within minutes of the first auction ending! :rolleyes:

They really weren't bad amps for what they were designed to do. Back in the day, you could always tell (by their audio) when someone was running a Varmint. You could also tell when someone was beating a Varmint too hard as well..... "Squeeeeeeel!!" was all you'd hear, or so over-modulated that you couldn't understand a word they'd be saying.

I'd own one..... if it was given to me. :love:

SR
I wanted a big Varmint. That's how I kept hearing they were unreliable. I would still love one. As a matter of fact, several years ago I bought a total of 21 NOS 6LR6's being sure that I WAS going to buy one. I've still got the tubes.

The seller probably has brand new tubes in the Varmint. That alone must have cost $2,000.00 in sweep tubes from RF parts. So......think of it like this. The new owner just paid for the tubes and got the amp that will destroy them for free. Good deal no?

Last edited:
I have been watching it. No feedback yet.Maybe his buddys bid it up for him, and he did not sell at all.
Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?