• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Very rare Teaberry Ranger "T" alignments wanted

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
Hi - I am need of a service manual or very close to what it should be with preferably all alignments and procedures for this Teaberry Ranger T, which are quite rare please folks... The radios were recapped by a well experienced tech and brought them back to life but I'd still like the alignment documentations... And this radio has an oddball PLL being the MB8709 which is absent from this planet on info as well !

I'm hoping someone will come through for me, Retrorecapped and could use an alignment some my Teaberry Ranger T.jpg

From my info, the Ranger T is pretty much the same as the Cobra 140 GTL in Sams # 219. Channel expansion (uppers and lowers) in SECRET CB VOL. 4, page 1.

Appriciate your reply good fella unit 399 but that's simply not true. Given the fact that I've had 2 professional techs work on these twins I have ( yes I have two of them as rare as they are ), both told me same thing nothing like the Cobra 140gtl. And there is NO dag gone info on that goofy PLL MB8709 which in and of itself makes it difficult to complete the alignment...

I sure hope I find some info though thanks for the reply sir always the best, Retro

Yeah roger on that ! I do know about it actually. I'm not sure how much this will help my local tech (who used to frequent this forum Nomad Radio) in terms of aligning the radio which is what I'm still after. The audio is currently being flat topped or clipped when it whiches it's peaks on SSB. Like garbled but sometimes the ALC doesn't take care of that. Not absolutely sure where that is in the radio either.
The tech who recapped the radio couldn't do the full alignment even with the schematics I gave him which was in back of the users manual. Mainly because there is only a block representing the PLL so he could only do about half an alignment which left the peaks on the Ranger Teaberry T's garbled up and flat topping unfortunately...

Thanks for your reply and I may have him try this mod but I would need the clarifer unlocked as well...

73's ^ Retro ^

Actually I have videos the tech did who recapped it and all. Perhaps those would help. Here is the 1st video where he started on it and there is like 5 videos all together.

Let me know after watching what you come up with thanks so much, Retro

first, you picked a couple of great techs!

Nomad is, and has been one of the top techs in the country for decades. There is a reason he doesn't take mail in repairs! he would get too many.

Mike is also a great tech, although i have never corresponded with him, i have seen enough of his videos and talked to mutual friends to know that this guy knows his sh!+.

second, that chassis is weird!

anyone who says that thing resembles a cobra 8719 chassis is nuts. lou franklin included. LOL

those traces on top of the board suck! looks like a first attempt at a double sided PC board.

i would not have accepted this radio in for repair, as i don't have any service info or even a schematic, and this chassis is a one of a kind.

i wish i could be of more help. if you do have a schematic of the radio i can look at, i can tell you whether or not the mods in Secret CB volume 6 will work or not, and i might be able to come up with an alignment procedure, but without documentation of the PLL section, i would be no better than the tech who did the work for you.
LC

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
TeaberryRangerT schematics 1.jpg TeaberryRangerT schematics 2.jpg LC thanks so very much for your kind words and time and trying to pin point if the channel mod will work sir. Here is a couple photos I just took of the schematics in back of the users manual I got with them... Hope it can help, please let me know asap.

73's God bless, Retro
TeaberryRangerT schematics 1.jpg TeaberryRangerT schematics 2.jpg TeaberryRangerT schematics 1.jpg TeaberryRangerT schematics 2.jpg

Reactions: Robb
first, you picked a couple of great techs!

Nomad is, and has been one of the top techs in the country for decades. There is a reason he doesn't take mail in repairs! he would get too many.

Mike is also a great tech, although i have never corresponded with him, i have seen enough of his videos and talked to mutual friends to know that this guy knows his sh!+.

second, that chassis is weird!

anyone who says that thing resembles a cobra 8719 chassis is nuts. lou franklin included. LOL

those traces on top of the board suck! looks like a first attempt at a double sided PC board.

i would not have accepted this radio in for repair, as i don't have any service info or even a schematic, and this chassis is a one of a kind.

i wish i could be of more help. if you do have a schematic of the radio i can look at, i can tell you whether or not the mods in Secret CB volume 6 will work or not, and i might be able to come up with an alignment procedure, but without documentation of the PLL section, i would be no better than the tech who did the work for you.
LC

Bare in mind there are 5 videos total for these twins bro...

73's

well so much for that idea.(n)

every single part i need to see is in that "box" with the PLL that they don't show you.

the secret CB instructions are incomplete also, and i personally would not trust the diagram alone, knowing that publication's penchant for typos and omissions.

im surprised that Mike wasnt able to mod the clarifier for you.
LC

Last edited:
What I can NOT fathom, is why there is NO info on that MB8709 PLL chip > ??????? That is just insanely crazy and why even Lou Franklin and some of those guys don't give up that information...... Kinda bugs me in fact !

I'm not gonna give up so easy but there has to be a way to deduce and break this PLL chip down and how many radios were using this chip MB8709 ???

A bit disgusted but thanks for trying sure appriciate it, Jimbo (Retro)

try RV3.

take a resistance measurement from the wiper to one side before messing with it.
that way you can put it right back where it was if i was wrong.
LC

Reactions: Retro CB Guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?