• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Video - How to work amateur radio satellites with your handheld (HT) radio

Just watched your video. Thanks!
You say that the Doppler effect is more pronounced on UHF, and not to worry about the 2M band for the five different channels.
After thinking about this, for the sat you were working (AO-51) would not these be the proper xmit frequencies?

p.s. I recognized DM14ad. I grew up in that area. i'm in DM14fk now.

i actually enjoyed the video very well done and interesting
can you mount the antenna you were holding to a camera tripod and be able to get a better signal or be closer to the Sat

what im thinking is
if you take a lazer pointer and shoot it at the wall beside you
wont be very hard to hit the red dot with a bb gun
but take the lazer dot and shoot the back fence now try and hit the red dot

the bbgun can hit pretty close to the dot if not few inches away on the wall
the dot on the back fence might can get within a foot or so from the lazerdot
now the Sat if you not pointed right at it then you can be looking at few miles away from directly on.

i actually enjoyed the video very well done and interesting
can you mount the antenna you were holding to a camera tripod and be able to get a better signal or be closer to the Sat

what im thinking is
if you take a lazer pointer and shoot it at the wall beside you
wont be very hard to hit the red dot with a bb gun
but take the lazer dot and shoot the back fence now try and hit the red dot

the bbgun can hit pretty close to the dot if not few inches away on the wall
the dot on the back fence might can get within a foot or so from the lazerdot
now the Sat if you not pointed right at it then you can be looking at few miles away from directly on.

Stabilizing the antenna on a mount of some sort is the best way to go. As for accuracy of heading, that's not too bad. The average satellite yagi has a beam width of about 40-60 degrees anyway so there is no fine pointing needed. Anything within 10-20 degrees will work. It's kind of like the pattern from a shot gun rather than a rifle.

Reactions: 1 person
Just watched your video. Thanks!
You say that the Doppler effect is more pronounced on UHF, and not to worry about the 2M band for the five different channels.
After thinking about this, for the sat you were working (AO-51) would not these be the proper xmit frequencies?

p.s. I recognized DM14ad. I grew up in that area. i'm in DM14fk now.

Sorry, I missed this one. Where did you get those numbers from? Everything I've read indicates that the max shift for the LEO's on 2 meters is about 3.5Khz. Besides, I don't know of any HT's that can dial to the frequencies you indicated.

Sorry, I missed this one. Where did you get those numbers from? Everything I've read indicates that the max shift for the LEO's on 2 meters is about 3.5Khz. Besides, I don't know of any HT's that can dial to the frequencies you indicated.
Yep, you are right. my HT would not allow me to use the frequencies.
I had to settle for:

These frequencies are simple ratios of the offsets you gave for the .7M band frequencies.
and .9166 - .9200 is .0034, or 3.4Khz. so you are right about that.
I was just trying to be precise, and not having any luck yet in hitting AO-51, just hearing it. I am using a FT-60R with a rubber-yuck. :)

Would you advise using .9150 for the AOS and .9250 for just after LOS? or does it matter that much?

Handheld HT for VO-52

Anyone here working on the VO-52?
I'd like to know the robustness of the Dutch transponder on that Indian SAT. Will is offering same for sale. As I was involved on the (Indian) side of the sat bus, I would love to QSLs via 2m/70cm or ...

Yes... I have over a dozen QSL cards on my wall to prove it. HT with stock antenna. Also several QSLs made via a small yagi. AO51 and AO27 are best in the USA for this.

Congratulations!

It has to be one of the most fun things to do with an HT

cool video...like another said, probably funnest thing to do with an HT...Going to build an antenna and give this a shot. I'd really like to make contact with the ISS for my kids class

Excellent video! I got the VX8, which is a sweet handheld. Just need to get a nice antenna, and I'll be in business. How do you get your frequency labels to show on screen? Mine doesn't do that.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.