• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vintage Collins KWM-2 shipping damage

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
In this video we have a quick look at vintage Collins transceiver. This unit was damaged in shipping due to poor packaging. But this one will live and should be back to original shape before long. VFO shaft was damaged along with the front panel bezel; the bezel holds the VFO knob in place. Proper packaging is a must when shipping anything of value. I really hate seeing equipment of this caliber damaged due to poor packaging let alone with shipping companies can do to a proper packed unit.

Specs :

http://www.collinsradio.org/cca-col...ins-radio/the-grey-boxes/kwm-22a-transceiver/

I feel for you on the bad packaging. my madison came flopping around loose in an over-sized box with a d104 lollipop rolling around.
I feel worse for the shippers though. how incompetent must you be to not be able to shove padding in a box?

I feel for you on the bad packaging. my madison came flopping around loose in an over-sized box with a d104 lollipop rolling around.
I feel worse for the shippers though. how incompetent must you be to not be able to shove padding in a box?

It is really terrible how guys pack this stuff. Specially something like this vintage rig. Here is on on Ebay, check the price:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=111734832459

Had a pride DX 300 shipped tto me many years ago. There was nothing left to repair or salvage.

Sorry to hear about your maddison.

Definitely feel your pain and combined misery. Bad enough your taking a lottery risk on the equipment itself, then get a bashed unit. Unfortunately this equipment trauma is all too common due to lack of of sense there of. I chalk it up to shear laziness on the part of the shipper. I have literally constructed wooden cases to ship extra heavy items.

Next time just make the comment to the seller right after winning the bid, that they have been contacted to make it clear that the item must be packed properly to avoid damage during shipment. Refer them to this exact eBay article and tell them you will hold them to it:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Packing-and...cs-and-Valued-Items-/10000000002373008/g.html

I know it may be an inconvenience, but tell them also that you request that the item have a signature required and remind them if it's damaged they will get the unit shipped back immediately and eBay will be notified.

That way when UPS finally catches you home to sign for it, you tell the delivery driver that he must wait while you open the package to inspect for damage. I know they want to hop right back in their truck, but if demanded, they will wait. If it's busted up, refuse it on the spot. The package then goes right back to the seller with a paper trail. eBay will have that delivery information and should be able to refund your money after delivery conformation back to the seller. UPS will also determine that the item was not packaged properly to their standards and guess what?...no insurance money for the seller, haha.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the broken mess.

index.php

I started sorting out all the little parts to see if any were missing. So far it is all there.

index.php

I was able to glue all of the bezel back together. What I am going to do now is cut out a very thin piece of copper sheeting to glue to the back. This will add a lot of strength to the part. Once that is glued on and dry I will sand the front and apply filler. Light sand and paint with a flat black then add a little clear coat.

This is not plastic. I cannot remember what it is called but it is the same material that the knobs of this vintage but I think they are bakelite?

index.php

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.