• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-6R vs VX-7R

deputyjoel

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 18, 2009
Hello all,

I have gotten such great information from this site that I thought I would ask another question. I am in need of a second HT and I like Yaesu. I'm trying to decided between the VX-6R and the VX-7R. The main difference I can see between them is the dual VFO, some APRS stuff and 6 meters. ARPS and 6 meters are not an issue, but the dual VFOs seem kinda nice. I've searched till I'm blue in the face, but can't find a lot of opinions or info on my issue. Anyone with experience with either of these rigs or your opinions are welcome. Short of finding something used, the price difference is about $80.00, so not huge, but....

I see noone else has chimed in, so I'll take a shot at this question. I've owned both, although I don't have either any longer. The Yaesu VX-7r is water submersible; the VX-6r is not. The VX-7 has dual RX; the VX-6 does not. The VX-7 has 5 watts on 6m/220/440, 1 watt carrier AM on 6m and 330mw on 220mhz. The VX-6 is 2m/440 only. There aren't any APRS functions on either of these - you need the VX-8r for that. The VX-7 has a lot more memories, including built in weather, marine, and SWL. For $80 more, it seems like a heckuva lot more radio. However, if you just want a basic 2m/440 handheld, then the VX-6 will do that just fine.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know what the APRS feature on the 7R that you mentioned is, I looked in both 6R and 7R manuals and there is nothing other than a cable pinout to interface with a TNC. You would need an external TNC Byonics - TinyTrak4 GPS Position Encoder or https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=73&osCsid=0180663e08bc230c91bd9a7a51c79548 and then both radios will function the same.

Like you said, the 7R does 6m, 2m, 220MHz, and 440MHz and has dual VFO. The 6R doesn't have 6m or dual VFO. Other than that the radios are nearly identicle, the UR page for the 6R says that It is an easy-to-use "little brother" to the VX-7R. I don't think it would be that much easier though, as there really is just another button to switch between A-band and B-band, so don't let that sell you for the 6R.

The 7R has a "white" led too. I have the 8R with a slightly different led cover, it doesn't function well as a flashlight or even lighting up the ground in front of you but it does light up a map/other from a few feet away good enough to see what is going on.

The dual VFO is really neat and is feature you will use extensively. The two selling points for the radios are cheaper price for the 6R and dual VFO for the 7R. If the choice is between the 6R and 7R, I think that getting the 7R is worth the $80 difference, or ~$300 total.

Yaesu VX-6R VX6R Amateur HT

Yaesu VX-7R VX-7RB Amateur HT VX7R

Thanks for the info and advice! I decided on the VX-7R and found one on ebay for a pretty good deal. I think the dual VFO was the main selling point for me.

I see noone else has chimed in, so I'll take a shot at this question. I've owned both, although I don't have either any longer. The Yaesu VX-7r is water submersible; the VX-6r is not. The VX-7 has dual RX; the VX-6 does not.
Mine says it is, 3 feet for thirty minutes or something like that. I don't intend to test this out but I did buy it so I can use it in the rain and other nasties that fall from the sky.

Mine says it is, 3 feet for thirty minutes or something like that. I don't intend to test this out but I did buy it so I can use it in the rain and other nasties that fall from the sky.

It IS submersible per Yaesu's site (JIS7 submersibility) and my hosing it off. I use mine kayaking and sailing and a backup when I am flying. I have the aforementioned bands opened as well as 6 meters. All work flawlessly.

Cheers!
Dr. B

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.