• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8GR external mic connector

Once Bitten

Aug 13, 2011
Western Arizona
Clipped my VX-8GR to my belt and my external mic to my lapel pocket.
When i reached for the mic and pushed the PTT, nothing. The mic has come out of the radio and is not connected. Now the mic jack is way loose and does not make connections to microphone plug. (and now no audio from internal speaker)

Is this an easy repair? should I send it to Yaesu? It is out of warranty.

I just bought the super extended battery, too :(

UPDATE:

Good : I was able to open the radio. One nut on the rotary switch and two screws in the back. then five screws to separate the control board from the RF board.

Bad : The speaker/mic jack was surface mounted to the control board. Now it is loose and floating inside the radio. Beyond my capabilities. So off to Yaesu it went

Good : Yaesu repaired( replaced) the control board and verified specs.

I am happy I have my radio back, however my wallet is not.

$184.00 for the control board.
$35.00 labor

Radio was sent 3/19 via UPS as per Yaesu's instructions. It was returned via FedEx on 4/4 :unsure:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?