• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8R, something's amiss....

Luke_C

KD0GBK
Jul 8, 2009
CO Rockies
So, I think I've done something wrong but I can't figure out what....

I have an older Yaesu VX-8R. One of the original ones, and I've really enjoyed it. I have the external mic and GPS, and use APRS, especially while in the CO back country.

Problem is, I've managed to do something to the radio that keeps me from hitting repeaters. In CO, we have an extensive statewide linked repeater system (The Colorado Connection) and I'm about 32 miles from one repeater, and 28 miles from another, 2m system. A while back, I never had a problem hitting either from my house with a aftermarket Diamond antenna. (I'm on a big mountain in the middle of the rockies) After I've fiddled with it over hunting season, I can't get in to the repeater. I'm on the right frequency, have the right PL tone, and the correct offset (+or-). But I can't get in to the repeater. I can't figure it out.

I brought the radio to work with me, where I drive right under the mountain one of the repeaters is on. From directly under it, and out to a couple miles each direction, I couldn't get in. Tried both A and B sides, and neither worked.

So, any thoughts? Any setting I've fiddled with that might need to be fixed? Or do you think something might be wrong with the radio? I'm pulling my hair out, so any help you guys could offer would be great. Many thanks!

Luke

Have a local ham listen for you on simplex and on the inputs to the repeater(s). If you don't have somebody to help, get a wattmeter and verify you're actually sending RF to the antenna.

After I've fiddled with it over hunting season, I can't get in to the repeater. I'm on the right frequency, have the right PL tone, and the correct offset (+or-). But I can't get in to the repeater. I can't figure it out.

I really doubt that fiddling with the radio settings would cause any damage to the radio. Could something of happened during hunting season (maybe)? I droped my VX-8DR 12' down the stairs and broke the mike connector plug so damage could be a reason.

If you don't have what Beetle or m42duster have suggested, do you have the programming software and cable for your radio? If so just reset it and then reload your programming (assuming that you have a version from when it last worked). That way you can eliminate a setting issue. Hope it helps.

Using PL tone has two parts. Which one you selected and how it is being used. You indicate right PL tone so my assumption is the repeater needs tone to open the receiver at the repeater. For my VX8DR I would need to see TN in the upper right of the display indicating Tone Encoder is Active.

Offset has a similar issue. Getting the offset direction correct and how far (.6KHz). Automatic Repeater Shift (ARS) if on usually gets it correct. Try checking that also.

...snip...
I'm on the right frequency, have the right PL tone, and the correct offset (+or-). But I can't get in to the repeater. I can't figure it out.

...snip...

Luke

Excellent thoughts, gents. I'll make sure the tone is actively transmitting.

I doubt it got knocked around hard enough in elk season to damage it. The radio spent most of it's time in my backpack. Although temps were single digits, it stayed dry and was handled pretty carefully.

If the tone check doesn't work, I'll fire up another radio and see if I can hear myself from across the garage. That's the only other thing I can think to try.

--Luke

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.