• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

We have a Winner of the W9WDX April Fools 10/6 Meter Contest

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
OK folks, I tallied up the Contacts for the Ten/Six meter W9WDX Club Contest this Weekend, and with all the results in it looks Like......( drum roll)...

We have a TIE for First Place!!
Acid Rod, KJ6OMW, with Ten Confirmed Contacts
Moleculo, AE6LX with Ten Confirmed Contacts
Second Place Goes to Crash Ash, KJ6SBX with 7 Confirmed Contacts.
Congratulations Guys For a Job well done under some rough band conditions.

Thanks to everyone that worked the Contest this weekend, and We look forward to the Next Contest, and a chance to Work All of you that Are members of the W9WDX Radio Club.

From The W9WDX Radio Club, and Administrators Of the World Wide Radio Forum.

Reactions: 1 person

Wow, second place!
Beginners luck I guess. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my CQ. Again thanks to Tim, Mark and Gary who helped me out.

It sure was fun.

KJ6SBX
Ed Ash

How about a run down on equipment and antennas of the winners?

I'd like to know what a winning combination is so I might consider emulating one.(y)

I was working a Yaesu FT 897d as a base unit with a simple wire inverted V dipole cut to 10 meters. This was my first contest and I did recieve help from Mark, Gary and Tim, but only from helping a beginner out. I was having alot of trouble with my antenna till Mark helped me put up a simple dipole ten meter unit and it has served me well. Again thanks to Mark and Tim who helped me with the antenna and thanks to Gary who helped me work my contacts. It was really a team effort.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. It sure was fun.

Crash Ash, KJ6SBX
Edward Ash

Reactions: 4 people
How about a run down on equipment and antennas of the winners?

I'd like to know what a winning combination is so I might consider emulating one.(y)

Fully state of the art here... (lol) I'm running a well used IC-706MKII that I picked up for under $500, then added a Heil IC Mic. Antenna is the most basic that a new ham could throw up in the air. Under $30 not counting the 20' mast (or ER visit). MFJ 1:1 current balun with a wire cut for 10M and another cut for 6M, fed with RG-213.

mydipole_sm.jpg

Remember this? lol Yeah, it's THAT antenna...
balun_thumbwrap_sm.jpg

What a great bunch of guys in the contest... The "Old Pros" sat back and fed contacts to us newbies. They'd make a contact and then say "hey, give OMW & SBX a shout... they're out there on the West Coast..."
Casual and fun for sure. Nothing like some of the contests I've heard in my short tenure.

Thanks to all for the contacts & help. WWDX is a great place for new Hams to start. Lots of friendly Elmers here just waiting to help.

Thanks again guys!

What a great bunch of guys in the contest... The "Old Pros" sat back and fed contacts to us newbies. They'd make a contact and then say "hey, give OMW & SBX a shout... they're out there on the West Coast..."
Casual and fun for sure. Nothing like some of the contests I've heard in my short tenure.

Thanks to all for the contacts & help. WWDX is a great place for new Hams to start. Lots of friendly Elmers here just waiting to help.

Thanks again guys!

I was kinda keeping track

rough numbers ymmv

4 Amateur Extras
3 Generals
2 Technicians

... and fun was had by all

Thanks to everyone that participated; it was fun.

I was using my Elecraft K3 with the multiband dipole at 40'. I occasionally flipped on the amp to put out between 800 - 1000 watts when I wanted to steal a contact from Mark, or just see if I could get the band stirred up.

Thanks to everyone that participated; it was fun.

I was using my Elecraft K3 with the multiband dipole at 40'. I occasionally flipped on the amp to put out between 800 - 1000 watts when I wanted to steal a contact from Mark, or just see if I could get the band stirred up.

Now we know who got da big box....

Also I had got 455 stirrred up a bit on sunday... Dont know if you heared it or not? Got interesting to work a "little pile up" from the other end.. Some got fustrated because I would rag chew a bit with each but so be it.. Not exactly a ARRL contest but one to have fun with, And that it was... Got a few new people to sign up for the forums and that was great....

Contest was good, nice to see some new hams in the winner circles, i didn't really "participate" i turned the radio on and made two contacts, met two members on the air, and was great. Diagnosed a mike gain problem ;) and then listened to .455 for the next day off and on. next time around id like 6 to open up, so i can test out my kw on 6 on a nice size yagi.

great fun, and much better than any other contest ive heard on the air if you ask me.

first ten meter fun ive had in quite some time, and two contacts into cali aint too shabby.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated