• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

We need a volunteer or two to coordinate DX Contests

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
A long time ago, the site used to sponsor DX contests on the CB Band for site members. The folks that ran the contests got busy with other things (life calls) and so the contests wained.

If there is enough interest and if we can get someone to help coordinate the contest, we could do contests again. Is there any interest, and are there any volunteers for running the events?

Basically the coordinator decides when a contest is run and what the rules will be. We usually have participants post their list of contacts on a forum thread and then the coordinator(s) tally up the results to determine the winner. The one task that takes a little effort is that you need to verify that the winner's contacts are all verified by the other participants.

It's not a difficult job, but it does take someone to do it. In the past, we've done certificates for winners unless we get a vendor / retailer to sponsor the contest, in which case we can do prizes.

Now for the fun part: you must verify that every participant is operating barefoot and using an FCC type certified station putting out no more than 12 watts PEP.

I've never been involved in a dx contest nor do i know how thay work. I couldnt volenter but i would like to be envolved. If it endeed it gets off the ground. If it makes it any more interesting I'd donate a $50 prize for the winner.can you exsplan how the contest works and how is a winner decided? If it goes down I will of course excluded myself from being able to win the $50 prize. I would have no problem letting wwdx owners take the $50 off my debit or credit card in order to assure the Winner collects but that would be up to them. UOTE="Moleculo, post: 498455, member: 1"]A long time ago, the site used to sponsor DX contests on the CB Band for site members. The folks that ran the contests got busy with other things (life calls) and so the contests wained.

If there is enough interest and if we can get someone to help coordinate the contest, we could do contests again. Is there any interest, and are there any volunteers for running the events?[/QUOTE]
Iv

The way we used to do it is over a weekend: Pick a starting time on Friday evening and run the contest until Sunday evening. Simply call for other members using your dX club numbers and post the results of who you made contact with in a special contest forum. Tally up the results and you have your winner.

BTW, the original club was called the "CDX" club, named after the site founder. Maybe it's time to change the prefix of the numbers?

i remember this from way back . could never get anyone but have much better setup now ..lol .. id like to try it again. give me good reason to get my washington ootta retirement ..lol

It might be easier to secure volunteers for a shorter term commitment. For example: let's say you ran your contest one afternoon for a few hours instead of over an entire week-end.

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated