1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

week old rci 2970n2 started smoking at the back of it

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by boxcar112, Mar 1, 2012.

1. boxcar112

boxcar112 Member

Hello fellow cbers I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the new rci 2970n2 stay away from them they are junk I bought a new 1 a week ago had it peaked on am for 6 watts low power dead key and 70 high power dead key and 230 watts ssb I was talking to the ever green state today on 27.4250 lsb when I was listening to a station I been talking to the amp just keyed up with out the mic keyed up then my recieve got real qiute then all of a sudden smoke started coming out the back of it the heat sink was cool so I know it wasnt hot so I hurryed up and pulled over and unhooked it from the battery.In my opinion if you want a good radio with some power get a 2950dx and a linear stay away from them 2970n2s. I went back to the cb shop and got a new rci 2950dx they are good solid built radios and good ssb performers.

2. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

Your results may vary. But yes, these radios will not last long if improperly tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  3. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Supporting Member

Are you sending it in for warranty repair?
  4. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

Tuned at 70 watts AM and 230 SSB ?

5. Mudfoot

What's wrong with those power output numbers?
  6. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

A little hot for my liking.

7. Mudfoot

RCI knows very well how most dealers tune these radios, but yet, are more than happy to fix them under warranty.

Just ask them how happy they are with Copper Electronics cranking every last watt out.

They won't drop them as a distributor because they order an enormous amount of radios from them.

It's a love hate relationship...
  8. n0zna

n0zna W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

way to hot on ssb

no wounder it burned up...it has 8 small mosfets in it.it will do 125 all day and wont hurt it. 73 de JW
  9. mackmobile43

mackmobile43 Jock Supporter

Not a very convincing argument, ranger has an excellent reputation and I would talk about the tech's actions before I passed judgement on a tried and proven radio.

And I assume you took it back to the same "CB shop" you had your 2970n2s tuned at and I "assume" he was very understanding and more than will to offer you a straight across swap with the balance in cost refunded and good explanation as to why the radio was at fault and not his "Technical skills" that lead to the demise of that radio. :whistle:
    3 people like this.
  10. boxcar112

boxcar112 Member

It was tuned right and when it started smoking I was only running a 100 watts if that I had the rf power turned down I like rci radios i've owned alot of them over the years but ranger needs to go back to the drawing board on this one.
  11. boxcar112

boxcar112 Member

My cb tech knows what hes doing I know alot of people who bought radios from him and never had a problem he made every thing good when I took the 2970n2 back to him ranger just needs to get rid of those junky mosfets and stick with 2sc2290s are 2sc2879s in there high output radios cause the mosfets do not hold up.
    1 person likes this.
  12. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

I too have owned several of the RCI's over the years and I too have a N2 here, but, I surely would not be telling people that they are Junk and stay away from them, especially being the radio had been retuned.

These radio's just like a lot of other "exports", do break down, if mine was to of quite with in a couple of weeks or months of use, then I would send it back to Ranger. I run my radio's for several months before they ever get touched inside.

By the why Boxcar, how many amps was your radio drawing (I am sure you tech would know)?

Oh, one other thing, I have been running my N2 for the last 1 1/2 yrs now (on and off) and not ever a problem and the lowest that I can even run the output is; 150 watts.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    3 people like this.
  13. serrasalmus

serrasalmus Member

i know my 2 cents dont count for much but i got a n2 and it works amazing.50wattdk and 200pep so far its been a great radio
    2 people like this.
  14. BammBamm

BammBamm Well-Known Member

(My cb tech knows what hes doing I know alot of people who bought radios from him and never had a problem he made every thing good when I took the 2970n2 back to him ranger just needs to get rid of those junky mosfets and stick with 2sc2290s are 2sc2879s in there high output radios cause the mosfets do not hold up.)
    I love hearing this as it makes me laugh, Who is your Tech? I thought I had a great tech here until I sent my current radio to DTB and all I can say is NOW I KNOW WHAT A RADIO SHOULD SOUND LIKE! I have been lucky enough to play with a few 2970's along with 2950's and loved all of them but none where hacked just expanded for channels and left alone. If your after power buy an amp but in my opinion it's more enjoyable to say ( I talked from Chicago to Ireland,Columbia,or Germany on a 40 watt radio and a sirio s-2016 at 75 foot)
    as for your tech's said output watts...........^can not stand it^
    1 person likes this.
  15. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Well-Known Member

Boxcar I was really trying to see your side but sorry man. I think either you got a bad radio or "your cb tech" is over his head on a new 2970.

If you think RCI will see your post and jump back to the dual 2290's your smoken crack. Mosfets are what they are and in every new radio these days. Nuff said. You can cry to Ford and Chevy bout using carbs but fuel injection is what it is. And so are mosfets.

That said send your N2 in for some warranty work or sell it. Beyond that they are still a kick butt radio. Thats all buy buy buy.