• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

week old rci 2970n2 started smoking at the back of it

I have 2 2970n2, tuned em myself , set bias properly etc...nover ever had a problem , one is going on 2 yrs old and is in use every day..I'm willing to bet ya the bias was off
Set at 250 pep am, 10-75w key am , 225 pep ssb and thats it

Reactions: 1 person
Whenever there are radios out there with mosfets in them, a shop 'peaks and tunes' it for max output, operator turns the output up all the way, and a less than perfect match on the antenna - the results are a recipe for failure.

These radios done by a particular CB shop has been famous for peaking them and sending them out - and they fail. A local bought one from that 'CB shop' in question, didn't even run it hard and it failed, and that very same shop made him pay the repair bill. Phony warranty! Ended up paying for the same radio twice. While mosfets might be half the problem, the radio 'tune-up' and the shop that did the work are really to blame - IMO.

There is a thread from a year ago or more that made all of this info known. RangerUSA recalled a bunch of these radios and set them up right when they first came out. Unfortunately, this same infamous CB shop is still ruining this radio. Beware . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
To summarize this thread in a nutshell:

I owned a Dodge Dart with a 225 Slant Six engine and the quick lube place cross threaded the drain plug so it had a large leak.
The engine seized from lack of lubrication so I will assume that all Chrysler Slant Six engines are not durable and long lasting!

Reactions: 6 people

I owned a Dodge Dart with a 225 Slant Six engine and the quick lube place cross threaded the drain plug so it had a large leak.
The engine seized from lack of lubrication so I will assume that all Chrysler Slant Six engines are not durable and long lasting!

Right.
I don't blame the use of mosfets in radios as much as I do the shop that attempts to turn these radios up so high that precipitates these failures. But some radio operators are also guilty for this failure too - trying to eek out the very last watt. The mosfet isn't the best device; but it has weaknesses that a bipolar transistor doesn't have. Mosfets are less tolerant of SWR than a bipolar transistor to begin with. It has been my experience that the mosfet also gets hotter than a bipolar transistor, and this contributes to this premature failure as well - IMO.

Everybody likes the mosfet because they can put out twice as much power as a bipolar transistor can. But then if one runs that way continuously; the mosfet fails. One can easily compromise here and just run it at ~75% of rated output (running the gate voltage just at the point that turns the device on), and then add a cooling fan to the heat sink.

Since Eleflow now makes the 2SC1969 bipolar transistor, one can only hope that radio mfrs get on board and start implementing these devices back into radio production. The FCC would be happy about the fact that radios are now putting out legal power levels, and radio operators will see less radio failures too . . .
:blink:

Reactions: 1 person

Precisely

Sent from my LG-P990h using Tapatalk

I bet that slant 6 ran a good long time without oil before it finally did sieze.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.