• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

week old rci 2970n2 started smoking at the back of it

Ahhh yes - good old Dodge Dart!
Drove one through a Alaska winter one year (1977) and it sure served me well.

It surely was a not a fast machine, for my girlfriend's VW Super Beetle could out run it - even when I had a 15 mph start!!! ::censored::laugh::laugh:

we went 10,000 miles on our oil change on our old dodge dart slant 6 back in the 70's

dad sold it or traded it in still running.

I recently did one of these for a local guy, that thing scared the crap outta me, the bias was set scary high,yeah it put down 'impressive' numbers on the meter, but it was all just fluff. anyway, I reset everything, and I mean everything to factory spec. guess what, it ran cooler, sounded clean and even though it only made 150 watts on SSB it got better reports than it did making 100,000 million billion trillion gizzillion watts. And you know what? I here the owner on the air pretty much every night, and I have yet to here a complaint. So don;t be so quick to blame the radio and the mosfets.

Reactions: 2 people
I recently did one of these for a local guy, that thing scared the crap outta me, the bias was set scary high,yeah it put down 'impressive' numbers on the meter, but it was all just fluff. anyway, I reset everything, and I mean everything to factory spec. guess what, it ran cooler, sounded clean and even though it only made 150 watts on SSB it got better reports than it did making 100,000 million billion trillion gizzillion watts. And you know what? I here the owner on the air pretty much every night, and I have yet to here a complaint. So don;t be so quick to blame the radio and the mosfets.

There ya go, nuff said.

It surely was a not a fast machine, for my girlfriend's VW Super Beetle could out run it - even when I had a 15 mph start!!!

In High School I had a good friend ( now passed) that had a 1969 Dodge Dart GT/Sport, 340-4BBL....that was a quick little car in a 1/4 mile.

Mopar or no car.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
The bottom line with these new mosfet radios is that the tune specs must be closely adheared to. If not they will fail. Not to mention that the antennae swr must be as near perfect as can be as well.

the mosfets will not take the kind of abuse that there older bipolar conterparts will.

But, I can still the arguement as to why so many people are staying with the older radios with the bipolar transistors in them. It's the same Arguement when things transitioned from tubes to transistors. I myself are one of them.

Those cheap switching mosfets belong in those switching power supplys where they origionated from, and not in the final output sections of radios. Even though these older bipolar transistors were starting to be phased out, once the radio manufactures found out that they could use them and make them work margionally they hopped that train to save $$$ on thier production costs and keep the prices the same or even higher. Hence a higher profit margin. It was never about better performance...just all about $$$$. I say this with the realization that something had to replace those bipolar transistors in light of the bipolars becomming extinct.

Come to think of it, here is a good thought. If someone came up with those elleflow bipolar replacement transistors with internal ballasting that seem to work 95% of the time at spec or even better on occasion, Then why havent these radios manufactures followed suit? If they can engineer some of the most elebrate radios and computer software to date....why couldn't they engineer a transistor to replace the ones that went extinct? Interesting concept isn't it?

But nevertheless this has become the wave of the future and have to be delt with.

The older bipolar final radios will eventually slip into the Antique classification just as the tube equiptment has. But like so many other things such as this,

It is all a matter of personal taste to the individual.

Eleflow needs to make a MRF477 replacement.

Edit:
They do now.

Always remember kids, Google before bitching.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.