1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What does bi-linear mean when it comes to an amplifier?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by T23, Jul 3, 2011.

1. T23

T23 Active Member

Reason I ask is I am getting a palomer tx-100 in and I am not familar with that term, also what class is this amp, other thoughts opinions?

Suggested drive for this amp?

T23

2. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin Staff Member

It means it has a built in Pre Amp.
    When turned on it increases the gain of the signal when receiving, or another way to say it is, it boost`s the signal coming into your radio when you are listening.
    As for what class of Amp it is, that depends.....there are so many copy cat amps that have a Palomar name stuck on them the build vary `s from unit to unit.
    If it is an old TX100, they were built for low drive, about 3-4 watts or less, and my guess is a couple of MRF 454`s in it.

Jeff

3. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

A bi-linear amplifies TX and RX, but neither are linear.

4. n0zna

n0zna W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

it means

it is a push/pull amp.incresses the recieve and transmit.I have a pal tx150,its a nice amp.Dont run over 2 to 3 wts in on am and 6 to 8 on ssb.It will last for years.I like it alot.It is clear on rec/transmit both.I like to run my digital sports amp when i go somewhere,i run on 28am and also non 38lsb...it realy pisses the truck drivers off...hehei run a a galaxy959dx just stock 40 ch am/ssb radio and the roger beep is wicked...spaters realy good on to ch 19...hehe 73s de JW

5. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

HUH?

6. Beetle

Beetle Well-Known Member

I was gonna ask that question!:confused:

7. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur Staff Member

The term push-pull has a whole different meaning when talking amplifiers than that. I suppose in the CB world a push-pull amp is an amp with a preamp for the receiver but in reality a push-pull amp is an amp with a pair of tubes/transistors with each of them conducting on half the RF cycle and combined at the output usually through a transformer type winding instead of simply being in parallel.

Me too.

Now you know Pat. ;)