• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What if you have limited space BUT still want to BUILD a 160-10 antenna?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
What if you have limited space BUT still want to BUILD a 160-10 antenna?

I have a Yaesu FT-890 with a good internal tuner (can handle 3:1), I know this will help

I guess I would need to do some kind of folded design.

Maybe I could use the top rail on my fence as a 160-80 antenna?

Gives us some more information on your space limitations. Coming up with a limited space HF antenna for 20-6 meters is pretty easy; it gets more challenging for 40 and 80. 160m is REALLY challenging!

Gives us some more information on your space limitations. Coming up with a limited space HF antenna for 20-6 meters is pretty easy; it gets more challenging for 40 and 80. 160m is REALLY challenging!

True that! ;)
A good way but costly is with a Butternut HF9-V. I have one except for the 160M coil. Cover 6M thru 160M, albeit 160M is only about 25Khz wide.

Some thoughts . . .
I suppose that you could run a remote antenna tuner at the antenna feedpoint. Vertical or loop antenna. Isn't cheap nor efficient. Never done it but I've read about others doing it that way. Efficiency is the real loss . . .

property-1.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to avoid using the tress in the front of the house. I also have a 35' telescoping mast that can be mounted anywhere on the fence line

I would like to hit Europe.

Use the tree on the SW side of the garage to install a doublet fed with 450 ohm ladder line. Run it to a half decent tuner with a 1:1 balun and you are good. Get the middle of it as high as you can and install as an inverted VEE. It is exactly what I have right now and I worked New Zealand late this afternoon with 100 watts. The apex is at 35 feet.

The down side of using traps is decreased bandwidth and then power handling capabilities.

OP has all ready been informed of the inverted V antenna or all band doublet.:bdh:

Build one and start making contacts if you have the license.

Can't quite tell how deep that back lot is, but if you can't fit a full sized doublet for 80/160, the traps will be the ticket, or make loading coils. A ground mounted vertical will do the trick also, but that's getting more expensive.

Looks like more than enough room for a rectangle loop antenna, if you can get all 4 corners up about 30 feet or so it should do the job pretty well.

Can't quite tell how deep that back lot is, but if you can't fit a full sized doublet for 80/160, the traps will be the ticket, or make loading coils. A ground mounted vertical will do the trick also, but that's getting more expensive.

around 205' deep to the trees in front of the house, from the back fence line

The down side of using traps is decreased bandwidth and then power handling capabilities.

OP has all ready been informed of the inverted V antenna or all band doublet.:bdh:

Build one and start making contacts if you have the license.

Yep, bandwidth is significantly narrower with the traps, but it did reduce the area needed to put up a long dipole.

F0002.jpg
F0003.jpg

Traps do reduce length of antenna I think Unadilla sells traps for any band.

Friend of mine built one and said it works but with very narrow band width.

Google up "Hy-Power Antennas" and look for their 82' 160 dipole. Order it for ladder-line feed and use a good quality ladder-line. (Davis RF) Have fun... ;-)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated