1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

What use for this?

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by HomerBB, Nov 19, 2010.

1. HomerBB

HomerBB Well-Known Member

A friend gave me one of these things with some other stuff. What might I do with it? I ask this in terms of what one does with one practically speaking. . . is it useful?

[​IMG]

www.heathkit.nu

Thanks,
    HomerBB/Charles
  2. wcsd106

wcsd106 Active Member

That appears to be an RF signal generator. They are very useful for aligning the receiver section of radios.

I used to use a Heathkit model and thought very highly of it. My model was older than the one you have pictured. I now use a B&K precision model, but it's not that much better than the heathkit.
  3. fnkycoldmedina

fnkycoldmedina Well-Known Member

what he said......used for aligning the receive on radios.
  4. HomerBB

Do I need an oscilloscope to utilize this thing properly?
    (I feel like my ignorance is showing).
    If the answer is too complicated no one ought to feel obligated to answer it.
  5. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur Staff Member

It is indeed a Heathkit RF signal generator. i have the exact same model but mine does not look as shiny as your's. You can use it to check a receiver however the frequency is not very stable on it nor is the accuracy of output level. I used mine a lot to find the resonant frequency of traps and other coil/capacitors circuits along with an oscilloscope to measure the signal peak or minimum. It's a half decent signal generator for non-critical measurements.
  6. HomerBB

Thanks, CK,

That one is a borrowed photo from the link I posted. Mine is in the attic. I need to photograph it so you can say, "I have one like that, but mine is shinier than yours!"

;)