• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

where to find an assortment of high voltage electroloyic caps for cheap?

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
where should I look to find an assortment of high voltage electroloyic caps.
Shipping gets really expensive if I order caps as needed, and it really bites when I find out I missed one.
Are old boat anchors expensive to bring back into operation?
Would a motor start or run cap be adequate for a radio, or the caps out an old copier? What else might high voltage caps be used for today or are they pretty much just manufactured to restore old radios?

??? As Beetle was asking, the voltage rating you need is what we need to know,.... You can series up capacitors, if you fit 'bleeder/balance' resistors across,... I had some 600Microfarad 600V elecs, and needed 100Mfs at 2Kv for a 4CX250 linear a while ago, I series up four, with bypass/balance resistors to make me 150 Mf at 2400Volts,....
(I also tend to have my left hand in my pocket, and my wife, {who is an A&E senior nurse!!} nearby, while I work on the linear!!!!!! :redface: )

The 'bleed' resistors SHOULD drain down any charge on switchoff, but you never know!!! :oops:

Cheers, have fun, Fred G4ZWI

Oh, forgot to say, the metal cases WILL have high voltages, respect to earth/chassis, so stand them on a bit of well insulative material, and KEEP THEM WELL AWAY FROM THE CASE!!!! :w00t:

(Sorry if I am guilty of trying to teach my Granny to suck eggs....:D)

Cheers, Fred

Bleed off resistors don't always work

Once you are sure the power is off, a sacrificial screw driver applied between the post of the caps is a good way to discharge them. Then clip alligator leads across them to be sure no residual charge remains. I have seen other people use a light bulb in line of a shorting probe to do the same thing more gently. Just be sure the bulb is good.

Where to buy HV Caps

Hello,

This may also help: http://www.gatewayelectronlcs.com located in St.Louis.

BTW,never short-circuit power supply caps--they have a nasty habit of exploding.Photoflash caps are an exception...

I like the light bulb bleed down trick:I use a bulb with alligator leads as a "soft" fuse when tracking down pinched wiring in the equipment I service.
Saves on $10.00 fuses...

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated