• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which is better?

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
i know I am going to get pounded in this but.

Which is better and why?

Tube or solid state?

110v vs 240v

Pro vs Con

Which ones are best band for the buck vs power
Or
What's solid performer and all I know sometimes going cheap you get what you pay for, but sometimes that's is not good and it's best to wait and save for quality.

And what's min max watts to drive them and all.

And what's a good upto date one that has capability of all bands including 6m as well ect.

Am very curious, read so much just looking for opinions here with some of these newer amps comming out.

Last edited:

lots of questions,.......... lets start at the high end and work down...........

Flex 6000 series rig

ohhhh, i just reread your post, you are talking about an amp,........... why do you want a 60 meter amp?

Reason I am asking is a young man who cannot walk and really come outside so I unboxed my kenwood 440 i to use and gave him it and have thrown up wire and an i max 2000 for him mainly he listens and is going for his license he is striving for advance and in time all the way wih extra class and I told him if he gets it I'll buy him a really really good amp and all. Just doing something good for someone who had no control when the drunk scum bag hit his parents mini van killing all but him and all and his aunt and uncle take care of him. So why I am asking deep questions on it. Also looking at getting him before that if he gets his advance a TS-480HX. But the amp will be for his extra test passing.

Tube or solid state?

Well 35 views and no response. So I'll through my 2 cents in the ring.

Tube vs. solid state:

Today's Amateur Radio, MO it's still tube. Why cost, watts per tube is still cheaper than
Transistors or Power FET.

A single 3-500z cost...$180 = 1000 watts
(4)MRF150 Fet cost...$125 = 1.2 KW ( $ matched quad set?) this is the cheapest FET for that power rating...I think

110v vs 240v

Any tube amp KW or bigger should always be run on 240v...higher efficiency IMHO

Which ones are best band for the buck vs power
AL-811....600 watts...$850 new...tube replacement less than $100
AL-80B...1000 watts.... $1700 new...tube replacement $150-$200 depending on brand
VS:
Al-600(solid state) equal output to Al-811....cost $1700 vs. $850
Als-1300(solid state) equal output to Al-80B....cost $2900 vs. $1700

And what's min max watts to drive them and all.

40 watts to 100 watts pretty much is the norm....depending on tube or devices used

And what's a good upto date one that has capability of all bands including 60m and also includes 6m as well ect.

Better check your rules...No amps on 60M...100 watts PEP MAX OUTPUT in US

160 to 6 meters All included you limit your choices considerably...
Best buy there
ACOM 1000...cost $2500...about 600 watts
for 1KW+ $3000++....ICOM PW1A or Yaesu Quatra series and there are others in the
$4000 -$6000+ range

That's pretty much the skinny in MHO
All the Best
Gary

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Well 35 views and no response. So I'll through my 2 cents in the ring.
Tube vs. solid state:
Today's Amateur Radio, MO it's still tube. Why cost, watts per tube is still cheaper than
Transistors or Power FET.
A single 3-500z cost...$180 = 1000 watts
(4)MRF150 Fet cost...$125 = 1.2 KW ( $ matched quad set?) this is the cheapest FET for that power rating...I think

Any tube amp KW or bigger should always be run on 240v...higher efficiency IMHO

AL-811....600 watts...$850 new...tube replacement less than $100
AL-80B...1000 watts.... $1700 new...tube replacement $150-$200 depending on brand
VS:
Al-600(solid state) equal output to Al-811....cost $1700 vs. $850
Als-1300(solid state) equal output to Al-80B....cost $2900 vs. $1700

40 watts to 100 watts pretty much is the norm....depending on tube or devices used

Better check your rules...No amps on 60M...100 watts PEP MAX OUTPUT in US

160 to 6 meters All included you limit your choices considerably...
Best buy there
ACOM 1000...cost $2500...about 600 watts
for 1KW+ $3000++....ICOM PW1A or Yaesu Quatra series and there are others in the
$4000 -$6000+ range

That's pretty much the skinny in MHO
All the Best
Gary

Wow, I see that the major brand uses u and icon and name pricey vs others ... Seems the FET's are less costly vs tubes and less costly vs replacement FET's vs tubes...

So tube 240v and FET 120v or 240v be better too on it?

And thanks you got an idea and if more chime in get even more options and opinions.

And 160m-10m as well as 160-6m either or.

Last edited:
Ameritron ALS-1300 vs Ameritron ALS-1306 which is latest update? And differences in these two?

Ameritron AL-82 vs Ameritron AL-82Q
Which is latest update? And what's the differences between these two?

Then between all 4 pro and con.

As well as RFI problems? If any?

Last edited:
Buy the
Al-811 or the AL-80B....
Spend money on ANTENNAS!....IMAX and random wire(requires external tuner) is not the way to go!
Forget 6 meters the TS-440 radio won't work there and believe me 6 meters is all about antennas....

NICE gesture on your part to get this young man started but he needs a MENTOR and ELMER....
GET YOUR TICKET...study with him...this will mean more to this new ham than all your doing presently!

I have bought new HT's and study guides for both my nephew and my niece's husband for Christmas, both gravitate to my shack during any visit!
They both will get all the help and instruction they request...
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: 2RT307
The AL-80B is about the best band for the buck in my books. A cool kilowatt, decent tube, able to run on 120 or 240 volts,(240 recommended) and easy to use.

Totally agree here. And unless you have the bucks to throw around, I can't see getting a transisitor amp for casual use. If you're a band hopping DX'er, maybe. Have issues/limitations seeing or using your hands, then for sure. No tune and automatic band switching can be a real benefit then. The AL-80B's (I own one) are built like a tank, easy to tune, and hold their value very well. You usually won't find one for less than 850-900 dollars these days. I'm extremely limited on what antennas I can put up at my QTH, so an amp was kind of a must have. I run mine with 50-75 watts drive, and loaf along with 500-700 watts, which is plenty for me!

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated