• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WIRES, Echolink, IRLP, and D-STAR - all the same thing?

ke7vvt

May 15, 2009
Echolink
Echolink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Introducing EchoLink

IRLP and EchoIRLP
Wide-Coverage Internet Repeater Enhancement System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IRLP - Internet Radio Linking Project

WIRES
Wide-Coverage Internet Repeater Enhancement System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
W I R E S - I I

Radio->Radio+PC+Internet->Internet+PC+Radio->Radio

1. These all do exactly the same thing?
2. WIRES is not interface-able like the Echolink and EchoIRLP are?

D-STAR
D-STAR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
D-STAR General Information - Features - Icom America

APRS
Automatic Packet Reporting System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
APRS: Automatic Packet Reporting System

3. D-Star is like WIRES, Echolink/EchoIRLP + APRS?
4. D-Star is not interface-able (on the internet+PC end) with Echolink/IRLP or WIRES?

WIRES, Echolink, and IRLP are all basically different ways of accomplishing the same thing. They each have their proponents and they're not interoperable, either. D-Star is a little different because it is first a digital voice mode and secondarily a way to link systems via the internet. DStar is interfaceable on your PC, but you need the DV Dongle product to do it. There may be other ways, but I'm not sure what they are.

APRS is more about GPS tracking stations and it uses the internet for the maps, to communicate with the servers, etc.

I'll add one other comment.

WIRES is typically (only?) found on Yaesu radios. The default function of the WIRES button is to use with a WIRES repeater. However, you can override that to make it a shortcut to work on IRLP and Echolink repeaters also. It explains how to do it in the manuals...I just though that some might find this interesting, if they weren't aware.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.