• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wouxun KG-UVD1P Software Mod

Is it doing this on both bands or just one? Is it only during scanning? What if you just leave it on a specific frequency? Does it break squelch then?
Both bands. It has never broken squelch in either band when I dialed up a lower or higher frequency than standard. I put in plenty of signal and got no response. In TX the sig indicator just flicks across for a millisecond or two then vanishes.

I just ascertained from the back S/N that mine has J07 firmware.

Both bands. It has never broken squelch in either band when I dialed up a lower or higher frequency than standard. I put in plenty of signal and got no response. In TX the sig indicator just flicks across for a millisecond or two then vanishes.

I just ascertained from the back S/N that mine has J07 firmware.

Mine says J04. I tested this again today and mine is not doing what your is. Are you positive that some type of rx tone or dcs squelch is turned on?

What I meant before by "fooled around with it" is that I had trouble getting it to recognize the serial port to write using. I finally got it to work by using the programming software that came with the cable, set the com port with that and then told the unlock program to write while the other one was open. If the progress indicator stopped, I canceled it and started over. After a few tries, it got the correct COM port and worked.

I just found a newer version of the program, and attached it to my first post. I've verified that it works on my radio, as well. The model number is even listed on the application. Read the notes in the first post for the info on how to get it to work and also for translation information.

I just found a newer version of the program, and attached it to my first post. I've verified that it works on my radio, as well. The model number is even listed on the application. Read the notes in the first post for the info on how to get it to work and also for translation information.

Q: What is different/better with the new software?
My local friends might be interested

I'll try it out. But I have been asking around elsewhere too, and have now been told that J07 is a significant change, and will need a new version of the band software to match...

PS. Tried that new version. On my J07 radio it reads out the current band as all 9999's what does it do on yours ?

PS. Tried that new version. On my J07 radio it reads out the current band as all 9999's what does it do on yours ?

Do you mean when it reads the current band limits? It reports the correct frequencies when I do it. So, apparently there is something different about the firmware you have.

Can someone please post up a link how to get the program to a .exe extension?
Right click on the file. You will get a list of options.
Near to the bottom is "rename", left-click on this one.
The file name will now become active, with the name highlighted in blue(usually blue..).
The file extension, the .ex_ bit will not be highlighted.
Left-click your mouse at the end of the file name and you'll get a vertical cursor.
All you need to do now is delete the _ (underscore) bit and replace it with an 'e'.

Press return (or enter, depending on what you call the key).
You will get a prompt asking if you are sure you want to modify the filename as it may make the program unstable; left-click yes or OK (The affirmative option).

Bob's your uncle...

Do you mean when it reads the current band limits? It reports the correct frequencies when I do it. So, apparently there is something different about the firmware you have.
Yes, that's right. On my J07 version it reads all band values as 9999's. So something in the position or format of the band information in the firmware might have been altered. Hopefully the clever guys who wrote that software will be able to crack the changes and update it for late model owners like me.
:D

I just received my KG-U1P and it's a J08 serial number. I set the receive and transmit limits to 350-520 using the updated unlock program attached to the first post of this thread. I have confirmed with my scanner that it will actually transmit from 420-520MHz (I used low power inside a Faraday cage ;) ).

The receive range is the same, 420-520MHz. I ran the scan function from 350 up with the squelch set very low and it picked up nothing until it hit 420 and immediately stopped scanning when it picked up stray noise.

The Serial Number sticker under the battery lists the radio's freq range from 136.000-174.995 & 420.000 - 519.995.

What a cool little radio. I can see why this thread has such a high view count. It's too bad the "vfo" function is such a pain--"Menu" "21" "Menu" select "Freq" or "Name," "Menu."

I got mine in three days from Ed at wouxun.us for $107 + shipping.

So far I'm very impressed.

K9OJ

Last edited:
Does anyone know the upper and lower limits for Tx/Rx for this device? I just purchased a KG-UVD1P with a serial number starting with J08. I can successfully program the device with a range of 30-300 Tx/Rx for VHF and 350-520 Tx/Rx for UHF. I then tried to transmit / receive at 46.100 but could not. I am a firefighter, and am checking with one of our radios. Is it limited by the antenna, or is it an internal circuitry issue?

benering, are you 'sure' it's actually working on the extended frequencies at all ?

Mine works fine on the display, but in reality receives nothing and sends nothing when 'out of band' by so much as a kHz. That was with the original FW posted. The newer one does not even read the original bands from the radio properly now. (hoping there will be an update for J07/J08 FW eventually)

No. Not sure. Either update let me change the display so that I could enter a frequency that was above/below the original limits, but tx/rx on those frequencies would not happen, so I guess I am in the same boat you are!

Thanks for the response!

Does anyone know the upper and lower limits for Tx/Rx for this device? I just purchased a KG-UVD1P with a serial number starting with J08. I can successfully program the device with a range of 30-300 Tx/Rx for VHF and 350-520 Tx/Rx for UHF. I then tried to transmit / receive at 46.100 but could not. I am a firefighter, and am checking with one of our radios. Is it limited by the antenna, or is it an internal circuitry issue?

According to the original post the limits are:

The allowed frequency range variations for the KG-UVD1P are:
2m/440 version
144-148 & 420-450 (TX)
136-174 & 350-470 (RX/TX)
136-174 & 400-480 (RX/TX)
136-174 & 420-520 (RX/TX)
136-174 & 400-470 (RX/TX)
136-174 & 350-470 (RX/TX)
144-146 & 430-440 (RX/TX)
2m/220 version
136-174 & 245-250 (RX/TX)
136-174 & 216-280 (RX/TX)
136-174 & 225-226 (RX/TX)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated