• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wouxun KG-UVD1P Software Mod

Hi, first post here, I have just had a play with the UVD1P and it now scans from 000.000 upto 900.000 only rx. Now all i wanna know is there anything worth listening too anywhere or am i just wasting my time with all the extra numbers :D

Hi, first post here, I have just had a play with the UVD1P and it now scans from 000.000 upto 900.000 only rx. Now all i wanna know is there anything worth listening too anywhere or am i just wasting my time with all the extra numbers :D

Welcome to the forum :) It's going to depend a lot on your surrounding area. Around here there are a lot of fire departments and police that you can listen to, as well as marine radio, coast guard, private business, etc. See if you can find any postings on the internet for scanning frequencies in your area.

Cheers mate i have the normal cop's fire ambo's and what not but i can now scan from 000.001 up to 999.999 :D it takes a long time to scan but i get a few things here and there. I get indian/arab music loud and clear around 008.000 weird :pop: And air bands. Good value i say for 110 bucks :D

Moleculo, excellent thread. Thanks for sharing.

I just bought a KG-UV3D (144/220 MHz). Is this mod safe to use on it or would I need another version of the patch? FYI, I read my radio using your tool. The data in the UHF section was replaced with my appropriate 220 range. I'd like to expand my range but wanted to check with you first.

Thanks!

12/26/2010 UPDATE
I was feeling brave and ran the utility against my KG-UV3D. I wanted to be conservative so I opened transmit to match the factory's published receive ranges. Worked great. Now I can use it on MURS with appropriate adjustments to bandwidth and power.

Last edited:
Hi Moleculo,
I am new on this thread, but when I read the posts I am little bit confused. I have 3 Wouxun radios: 2xKG-UDV1P and 1xKG-UV2D. Only one radio can be fully unlocked between 350 and 400MHz; all have a right display and the PTT led goes on when PPT paddle is pressed, but only one KG-UVD1P receives and transmits below 400MHz (it has s/n I07-XXX, the others are J02-XXX and J11-XXX)and how can I unlock the others. I think it is a firmware issue, but how can I load the good one (J02?), and how can I get it ?
Thanks F5LOL

Hi Moleculo,
I am new on this thread, but when I read the posts I am little bit confused. I have 3 Wouxun radios: 2xKG-UDV1P and 1xKG-UV2D. Only one radio can be fully unlocked between 350 and 400MHz; all have a right display and the PTT led goes on when PPT paddle is pressed, but only one KG-UVD1P receives and transmits below 400MHz (it has s/n I07-XXX, the others are J02-XXX and J11-XXX)and how can I unlock the others. I think it is a firmware issue, but how can I load the good one (J02?), and how can I get it ?
Thanks F5LOL

I'm not sure because I don't have those serial numbers. You can try updating the firmware by downloading from here: China Two Way Radios,Handheld Walkie Talkies & Interphone They have several different versions to choose from...maybe one will do the trick.

Something doesn't add up...

I popped in to the thread again to see if any new info was around.
I saw a few more links to files and some updated stuff from Wouxun. So I've done about another two hours worth of trying out the unlock softwares here, still with no proper results.
Sure I can make the radio 'appear' to expand the bands, but in reality when I test the radio with a frequency counter and power meter the radio proves to not actually be able to transmit or receive out of it's original delivered bands. It transmits for a few milliseconds then stops (but the TX led remains lit BTW making it seem like it's working) and I suspect it's because the VCO is not locked or it's so far OOB(unstable) that the radios VSWR detector shuts it down.
Receive doesn't really work either, even though I can dial up or program frequencies in the expanded band (and we're only talking about only 1Mhz lower than original for an easy test). Sure it un-mutes the squelch if I press the monitor key, but it doesn't receive, it's just noise.

So, it seems to me that given that so many people say this works, I have some strange unusual problem with mine. It's very disappointing to be so close and yet so far from a good result.

If anyone has a good idea let me know, and also let me know if your attempts got the same non result (so I know if it's not just me and can give up on it...).

To add some details on what I'm doing. I have a 420-520Mhz 136-174Mhz J07 version. All I wanted to do was get receive at around 400Mhz for weather sonde transmissions locally. During testing I just try 419.000Mhz for TX and RX (into a dummy load) and even that won't work for me. I've tried programming test channels into the radio via the Wouxun SW, as well as just dialing up a test frequency direct on the radio. Both ways fail.

I've tried to reflash the bands about 50 times now, with all versions of the software tool I can find on the net. None has yielded a different result.

If I had to guess the cause, I'd say the software tool is changing the band table for the display and the channel limits, but not changing something required by the VCO or synthesizer. It's like the software tool is missing a required parameter it needs to change.

Anyway, glad that somebody has found success, just wish it was me too. That's my story.
Martin
:cry:

I can tell you now, that on the 420-520 model the TX stops dead nuts on 420 and it won't go any further down. It will however go up to a little over 527 on the upside. So your max TX on UHF is 420-527. The 136-174 range swings a bit wider to the VHF 122-183 range. (YMMV) I would guess that the RX is gonna mirror the above mentioned values. I also can't be sure if going even a little out of the spec values won't put too much stress on the radio and shorten it's life. That's why I keep the RX at 136-174/420-520 and my TX at 144-148/420-450. Well, that and the fact that I have no business TX'ing out of those bands. Also, I'm getting the 350-470 model to fill the gap and compliment the 420-520. (y)

Hope this helps

I can tell you now, that on the 420-520 model the TX stops dead nuts on 420 and it won't go any further down.
Hope this helps
Mate, that's a BIG help !
It's what I suspected for some time but was hoping that I was wrong.

OK, yes I agree with you, I'll leave it at the original bands as I don't have any pressing need to expand the VHF range.

Pity I didn't know the 420-520 version would not go to 400Mhz with the unlock.exe or I would have bought the 400-480Mhz version...
Oh well, at least they are cheap.

Thanks,
Martin

get the 350-470 model along with the one you have and you'll be good to go. Honestly, these radios are like most tranceivers and are form specific. Meaning; yes they do scan, but it's a slow labored process and not what it's primary function is meant to be. Now, you invest in a good digital trunking high speed scanner, and you'll hear the alien invasion before they evan have it planned out!!! Imagine over 100 channels/steps a second!

My QUESTION IS THIS....if these radios are part 90 accepted, then they would able to tx on gmrs OR THE BUSINESS BAND RIGHT? How about t BAND business freqs...the higher freq mine would do was 500 mhz even...do they have a 500 mhz version, or are they all the same, just eppromed differently, ot is there a different one for the higher bands?

I've attached an updated version of the 1KG-xxx-unlock.exe file. It does the same thing as the one previously posted by Moleculo but this one has been translated to English:

73, aa9az

softmod.jpg

Question, will this work on the new KG-UV3D ?

Thank you.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.