• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WTB-Johnson Messenger 2

If you can't find a messenger 2, look for a Messenger 223..... same radio circuits as the messenger 2 in a more dressed chassis.

My older brother had one back in the early 70s.....it was the first radio I ever talked on...its a nostalgic thing.

Does the 223 have a VFO ?

Does the 223 have a VFO ?

No not really...The 223 is a Messenger 2 (turned sideways) with 23 channels (crystal mixed) no tune able VFO like the M2....
One of my Favorite old rigs to play with and work on years ago...
They were great preformers...AKA the Johnson "Blackface"

Johnson-Messenger-Two.jpg

Johnson-Messenger-223-2.jpg

All the Best
Gary

No not really...The 223 is a Messenger 2 (turned sideways) with 23 channels (crystal mixed) no tune able VFO like the M2....
One of my Favorite old rigs to play with and work on years ago...
They were great preformers...AKA the Johnson "Blackface"

Johnson-Messenger-Two.jpg

Johnson-Messenger-223-2.jpg

All the Best
Gary

Can you use tram titan crystals in the M2...and use the VFO for the receive?

I would have to look at the Tram's IF shift to know...Johnson and Regency if I remember were the same...but don't remember the Tram's set-up...
The M2's receiver's were pretty good...but the crystals most generally heard better than the VFO receive...
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Eastside
I would have to look at the Tram's IF shift to know...Johnson and Regency if I remember were the same...but don't remember the Tram's set-up...
The M2's receiver's were pretty good...but the crystals most generally heard better than the VFO receive...
All the Best
Gary

There are 2 power plugs on the back...which is which?

I would take the 223 in a heartbeat, just look at how good it looks. Good luck trying to find a mint messenger 2, they are out there, I have seen some, but most of those were used in taxis back then. dont expect many watts from these radios so I would use a modulator/amp like a blackcat with a high gain tube like a 8417 to boost that radio up. I use one here with both browning and tram and it makes the sound of the station and gives me export radio style power output to drive other amps with nice forward drive.

Yeh...they are nice too...but its a nostalgic thing...my bro had M2....first radio I ever talked on.

There are two connectors on the back, one is a 9 pin for power and a 12 pin for the optional tone alert. You want to use the 9 pin. AC gets put on Pins 3 and 6, and you want to jump Pins 4 and 5 together, and Pins 8 and 9 together. best to use 2amp fuses on both the live and neutral. There is another wiring scenario for 12v battery/power supply if you need it.

I would use it as a base...

Going to have to recap and resistor that thing. More than likely you not going to find someone running one of these today so I would turn that thing on with a variac or just recap it to start. Alls the ones I see are all beat up and rusty. You know I remember seeing a mint one a couple years back, I looked it up but did not act on it. But since its a nostalgic thing for you, I would try to find one as clean as possible and bonus if its already been recapped,etc.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.