• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Xforce 200HD

silanthunter

Feb 27, 2009
I have had a xforce 200hd for a yr now andits been working great I run it with a stryker 440 as with what I read in the instructions I have it set for 7watts to drive the xfore but after a yr of use I have had a hard time latly with it "clicking on and off rapidly" when keyed I have narowed it down to the relay does anyne have any more information on this so I can stop it fron hppening again :headbang

It could be the RF transistor that triggers the relay has gone bad, or the relay itself. BTW, I think you may be driving that amp a bit hard. Just my two cents.

Reactions: TonyV225
7 watts seems a little high to me also. Modifying the keying circuit transistor from a TO92 package to a TO3P package (I think those are the right names) will beef it up enough to take the higher key. But the higher key pushs the rest of the parts harder so that is something to think about too. One other thing is that there is a diode in that circuit that could be leaking causing this along with a capacitor.

BC

thank you both

I went back and replaced the relay and have turned it back to 5 watts I am a little confused as to why xforce would say to run it at 7watts ?

thank you both

also when I runn it at 7watts everyone says I sound like a very loud base station estimated distance of about 45miles on stormy nights

It could be the RF transistor that triggers the relay has gone bad, or the relay itself. BTW, I think you may be driving that amp a bit hard. Just my two cents.

Those amps will take drive up to 120 watts peak and work like that for several years.
Actually the same keying circuit is used up to 8x 2879s. Larger than 8 transistors the only difference in the keying circuit is a larger electrolytic capacitor.
The relays in those amps are shockingly light duty.

What the amp "will take" and what is enough for spectral purity are two different things. I'm sure it sounds real loud if it's driven hard, but the thing to do to get it sounding good and maintain some level of "cleanliness" is to set the drive so that the carrier (dead key) with the amp on is 1/4 the peak when driven. I don't remember how much power that stryker puts out on it's own, but it's going to drive that amp plenty hard.

Reactions: 74IN
The Stryker has variable power so it should be easy for you guys to set the input dead key. With the amp and radio on, amplifier on Hi, variable on the radio on Lo, key the mic. Watch the dead key out from the amp and stop when it gets to 80-100 watts. This is all with a watt meter in-line.

Something like 90-100 watts swinging 400 should be easy to get with that combo. 7 watts is way too much, probably dead key 150-175 with that much. Amp won't last as long abusing it like that. You probably damaged the relay, with any luck it's just dirty.

Reactions: Limeybastard
What the amp "will take" and what is enough for spectral purity are two different things. I'm sure it sounds real loud if it's driven hard, but the thing to do to get it sounding good and maintain some level of "cleanliness" is to set the drive so that the carrier (dead key) with the amp on is 1/4 the peak when driven. I don't remember how much power that stryker puts out on it's own, but it's going to drive that amp plenty hard.

Spectural purity is not a selling point of these amps. You want to hear some of the worst splattering crap, go listen to channel 6. Loud, overmodulated, and crispy is the norm......and if that isn't enough they have to scream at the top of their lungs in the mics. They buy 2SC2879s 3 dozen at a time.

Reactions: 74IN
after consulting the people whom built the box for me they finally wrote back and said you are all right and it shold be set at 4 or 5 watts I wish they had only told me that a yr ago ........

I have replaced the relay myself and cleaned it a couple of weeks ago my big mistake was listening to the dealer who sold me the unit thinking he might now what hes talking about lol

i only have a cheap off the shelf watts meter /swr will I be able to get it close with that ?
To measure the carrier of your radio, yes. Turn the mic gain down, key the radio to see what it says. Release mic, make the adjustment on the radio, test again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated