• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

XM Radio - blow out the front end of the receiver

archjeb

Jan 26, 2014
Folks,

I noticed this past week that I blew out the front end of my XM/Siruis receiver in my truck. It might be just coincidence, but by 2m/70cm antenna is only a few feet away from the XM radio receiver.

Has anyone experienced this? Since XM is up in the 2GHz range, I wouldn't have thought that this would have been an issue; but again this might all be coincidence.

-J

Some times a strong primary signal that is not in the usable frequency range of the device can blow circuitry. A small transistor can get wiped out very easily.

YUP! I took out the front end of an Alinco DJ-160 2m hand held using it inside the antenna tuning hut at a 1 Kw AM broadcast transmitter site. Being only a foot or two away from the large tuning coils probably didn't help it. :whistle:

Well again it might have been coincidence...but its seems likely that TX on my mobile rig did this. I'm wondering what other folks have done to protect against this if you have an XM radio antenna up on top of the truck and you have a HAM antenna up there too. I imagine the LNA on the XM receiver doesn't have a lot of narrow 'Q' Band pass filters on the front of it to project it anyhow...

-J

I've rewound L41 twice...

Which inductor is that? On the receiver module or the Active Antenna?
I ended up replacing the sharkfin antenna on top of the truck. This is where the issue was. Its an integrated GPS and XM antenna with active electronics. I can't seem to find the data sheets on the chips, but I assume one of the chips is an LNA for the XM antenna.

-J

Inside Joke for TS-830S owners. The first RF coil takes the hit when exposed to mass EIRP

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated