• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-101EE

After doing some hunting around, I found that there is a 47K resistor that is not connected to nothing. Looking at the bottom side tube compartment, towards the front of it, there is a terminal strip. The ground terminal has a 47K resistor connected to it. The other end of the resistor has nothing connected to it. There is a short piece of wire that is coming from it that has been clipped.

Getting closer.

Here is the bottom chassis. If you have an external viewer you can save the pic and enlarge it. I use Irfanview.

Attachments

• ftchassisb2.jpg
    ftchassisb2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 215
Sorry no pictures here. Looks like you are close to the solution though.

Lots of those era rigs use a small resistor in series with the screen and cathode leads for protection and parasitic supression. Some of the screen resistors will even look like a mini me plate parasitic supressor.

Substituting tOObs can be a mixed bag. One has to consider interelectrode capacitances of the tube's elements as part of the neutralizing circuit. Even a 10 pf change will make a difference. There are certain "sweep" tubes that use long internal element connections where the lead inductance becomes a problem. See EL-509 conversion in a Dentron GLA-1000 not working at all above 20 meters.

The absolute worst conversion is when someone sticks a 6146B where a sweep tube used to live. Now you have less output with more distortion and a hacked radio. 6146s are lousy linear amplifiers without inverse feedback.

Thanks for both those replies.
SW<
I had that pic but when enlarging it , it became blured.

I did find a service manual online with the schematic.
And after tracing it out I found it to be a 100 ohm resistor inline from the 47k to pin 3 of both tubes. So HiDef you were correct.

Now to do a alignment and beutralization of the tubes and we should be good to go.

All set and ready to go. madea few contacts on 20 meters.

All looks great!

(y) Glad to hear all worked out for you.

As for changing tubes, I would not even consider changing to 6146's.That is a major refit starting with changing the tube sockets and everything else. Not worth the time and trouble IMO. The FT-101 series is know for being a bit stubborn with what it likes to see in it's final's sockets and any tube swap should be carefully considered and conducted by a competent tech.Sticking with sweep tubes usually still requires changing some cap values in the final PA cage but there have been sucessful substitutions to 6KD6's made. I'm sure there was an article in QST(?) several years ago about it. The best bet is to join the FT-101 users group on Yahoo for more info.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a 101e and it is deaf any suggestions to where I start looking, located at Rye Mornington Peninsula Victoria Australia.
Ta
David VK3 HDL

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a 101e and it is deaf any suggestions to where I start looking, located at Rye Mornington Peninsula Victoria Australia.
Ta
David VK3 HDL

Start by rocking the boards slightly in the edge connector, and check the T/R relay. I had the same issue on a 101E a few years ago and cleaning the relay and the edge connectors on the circuit boards fixed my issues. Also check the bulb fuse in the back.

If this does not work come back with more information. Is it deaf signal wise or audio wise? And does it affect all bands?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.