• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu ft-2900r frequency modification mars mod

I just attempted this mod on a friends new radio with no success. None of the 3 pads appeared to have solder on them, but my old eyes aren't too good. I desoldered the pad in the instructions just to make sure and still get an error when transmitting in the 156.xxx range. I found a magnifying glass and double checked and the pad is clear.

I have the same radio that I just got about a month ago already modded. I opened it up and the middle pad is soldered, and I can tell it was done after manufacturing. I soldered up the middle pad on the one I'm working on and then can't even enter in the 156.xxx frequency. I've desoldered the middle pad and it's back to normal.

I have done the reset procedure each time.

Any ideas on how to mod this one to transmit on the entire range?

Just did the mod and worked perfectly!! I did hold the 3 buttons and hit the power for reset.

power, dw/rev, an/low, mw/dmr

Also I found this software mod (Haven't tried yet)

I came close to bricking my radio and think there should be a bit more detail up above.
First the solder bead on my radio did not rise up to where you could see it. It was below the small pieces of metal on each side. (I wore a pair of diopter 7 eye glasses from Amazon). I had an adjustable wattage soldering pen, with a very small conical tip, that I turned on low and laid on top of a very narrow piece of solder wick.

You could not tell it if worked because you really could not see the solder to start with.
I guess I could have put it back together at this point and tested, but I was not that smart. I used the solder wick about 3 times, when I noticed what I will call a heat glaze on some of the traces. Luckily it just wiped off.

I should have let it go for a day at this point but I am impulsive and wanted to get it done.

I noticed that the trace to the right that went to the surface mounted part. I figured that if I could cut this trace that it would be the same think as getting the solder out of the contacts. Only that it would no be reversible. I had a very sharp dental pick type tool that after 3 or 4 scrapes easily cut through the trace. ( I should have done it this way to start, seeing as how difficult it would be to remove the solder.)

When I looked closer I saw that I may had damage a trace that was very close and right below the one I wanted to cut. I held my breath and luckily everything so far seems to work.

***** In hindsight perhaps a tinned and very small solder tip with no solder wick would have lifted the minute amount of solder hidden between the 2 contacts. The directions go into no detail at all as if this were just a normal sized job. It wasn't. This is the smallest thing I have ever put a solder iron to by far. It would be nice if the directions went into more detail here for those of us that have not worked on things so small.

Then again with care perhaps scratching the trace is the way to go. Just be very careful of the one right next to it. You might even be able to repair the trace with a product called CircuitWriter

FWIW my RTsystems balked at writing the programming to the radio after resetting it. The trick is to read the data on the radio and then to send it the file that you want to write to the radio. I don't know why that is so, but it worked for me.

I did my 2900r. It was a new mfg, just bought it 2 weeks ago.
It also had the black thing over the solder joint.
Thanks!

FWIW Mine is an FT-2900r/e.
I noticed that the other day when moving the box....

Edit: If youre programming it with CHIRP, pick ft-2900 (modded) or it'll never mate up. :D

Hi so what is the mod for European model for the 2900?Mine have soldered the two joints and the third no. I buy this radio used so i see this already be modified and re-modified

Attachments

• Inked83058937_622196058591175_7159049521324883968_n (1)_LI.jpg
    Inked83058937_622196058591175_7159049521324883968_n (1)_LI.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 653
Last edited:
That's when I came across a simple modification to the yeasu ft2900r mobile 2m transceiver that I had never heard about. When you buy the radio, it comes with the ability to receive and broadcast on the two-meter ham band exclusively. To my knowledge, this hack opens the tx function on the complete RX range.. For legal concerns, I'd like to inquire about a particular mod that I've seen mentioned on here.

That's when I came across a simple modification to the yeasu ft2900r mobile 2m transceiver that I had never heard about. When you buy the radio, it comes with the ability to receive and broadcast on the two-meter ham band exclusively. To my knowledge, this hack opens the tx function on the complete RX range.. For legal concerns, I'd like to inquire about a particular mod that I've seen mentioned on here.
If the mod is done yes it will TX everywhere it RX's. It's only legal to use on two meters.

Reactions: saadqazi3452837

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.