• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu Ft-450 power increase mod

ranger2970

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 27, 2008
I have a Yaesu 450 that's output is about 70 to 75 on ssb.Anyway to open the output at least 100 watts like the radios suppose to do. Any input would be appreciated.thanks 73s

Power increse for Yaesu FT-450

Cover for Transmit is Speaker, Side.(top).
Remove Speaker cover, Install Watt Meter - With Antenna installed. Look for (6) Small Pots. TC 5400, VR5401, VR5402, VR5403, VR5404, VR5405.
Adjust All to get the highst swing,Modulation. All pots are Black in color, Except the TC5400.
It is on the other end of where you are working TC5400 is RED in color.
If you don't like your setting Just turn back down alittle.

I expect the radio to do 100 watts as it is depending on how you measured the 70 watts out?
Did you use a good PEP active reading meter?

If not, by raising the power you will stress the PA.
Not only that, the difference in 70 or 100 watts out is hardly noticable on the other side anyway.

Increasing from 70 to 100 watts is going to make no, zero nada, difference in performance. The guy on the other end will see no increase on his S-meter. You would have to double the power to make 1 s-unit.

How are you testing the rig? Using a tone?, talking?
Most 100 watt rigs will only show you 35 to 60 watts out with normal talking. All 7 of mine does. If you want your rig to sound great on the air leave it as it is.

And as Justme said
by raising the power you will stress the PA.

I agree with the above posters. Unless you are using a true pep watt meter, the meter will NOT show peaks of 100 watts even though the radio IS in fact putting out that much power. When I say a TRUE pep meter I mean one that has to be run off a power source and not one that has a little PEP/AVG switch. Those so-called pep meters will only show 70-80 watts on voice peaks when the radio actually is putting out 100 watts.I have one of those, a Diamond SX-1000. I suspect that the radio you have is 100% fine as it is.

Rick a few of my HF rigs show 70 to 80 watts out and there still run that way I also noticed that power may read differently depending what band your talking on anyways I dont suggest any mods to the PA's on these there are tons of mods for just about every radio but power boosts are the most dangerous in my oppinion.

I remember a few local 11 meter CB guys near me a few years back talking about this big power mod in fact a 200 watt!! power mod they had found on the internet they were going to do to this guys Icom IC-718 I told them that it was a horrible idea and that radio is going to most likely go KABOOM!! and toast well what the hell do I know they said and insisted that it works because it was posted on the internet.

Well it was about a week or so later and the crying, p!$$ing and moaning started the radio litterally said pop bang and was dead away it went to Icoms service center and was gone for several weeks for its repair. The only time Ive messed with any power settings in any of my several HF rigs it was to the service manual specs.

As said you will never see on a receive meter or hear 20 - 30 watts power increase anyways. I know first hand that people will do what they want reguardless so all I can do is suggest to leave it where it is your meter may be off aswell and by messing with factory setting you may cause other issues.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated